Big winds this morning in Florence a bump in the river and steelhead!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
80 MPH clocked this morning and more rain than forecasted the river should be fishable this week any body going to hit it? can't wait till Umpqua springers never a dull moment on the Central Coast and they will stock the lakes with trout this week! Where to go?

E
eugene1
Wow that's some crazy wind!

Any damage?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
we were at Fred Meyer when it hit and a section of wood fence was down but beter was one of those cart return things in the parking lot got pushed several rows over before stopping against a big truck...

F
flocaster
How are things looking over there now? I'm getting ready to head out crabbing from newport for a few days am curious if its laid down out there

hobster
hobster
River won't be fishable for a while, still around 15 ft. It will drop quick but will be muddy, i'm thinkin this weekend it should be good (and a zoo!). These big rises bum me out a little because you know lots of fish are moving up and getting into the trap before we get a shot at them.

I've been at the coast with winds like that, it's pretty awesome!

E
eugene1
hobster said:
These big rises bum me out a little because you know lots of fish are moving up and getting into the trap before we get a shot at them.

I know they used to re-run the clipped fish, not sure if they still do or not though. Roger do you know?

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
They do at 10 mile I was there before the storm and they had just dumped 80 fish but no one was catching them!

P
plumb2fish
They do not rerun fish from the traps in the siuslaw basin

hobster
hobster
plumb2fish said:
They do not rerun fish from the traps in the siuslaw basin

They do release them back into the river after milking them. Not the actual river but the creek, i have seen them do it a few times. I was told they run them down the river (literally) from the creek but haven't seen that. Are those considered reruns? My friend has caught one already (they have a hole punched in their fin).
I know there will be fish eugene1, but more fish will be dark or rerun. Some freshies will be in there but not as prevelant. I like em CHROME!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
I know they used to re-run the clipped fish, not sure if they still do or not though. Roger do you know?

correct, they punch the gill plate and release in the creek below the trap but...

hobster said:
They do release them back into the river after milking them. Not the actual river but the creek, i have seen them do it a few times. I was told they run them down the river (literally) from the creek but haven't seen that. Are those considered reruns? My friend has caught one already (they have a hole punched in their fin).
I know there will be fish eugene1, but more fish will be dark or rerun. Some freshies will be in there but not as prevelant. I like em CHROME!

...spawning this year has moved down to the holding trap on Munsel Creek in Florence, we move the fish down to there and hold them for spawning when ready. the fish at Whitaker trap that we don't need are just milked out into the creek if they are ready and dropped into Whitaker creek below the trap, so I think they would be downrunners at that point...the fish spawned at Munsel each week are dropped into the creek where they can go into the Slaw by the Port launch and out to the ocean quick. cheers, roger

E
eugene1
Thanks, rog.

I thought they used to move clipped (and unspawned) fish from the trap and transport them miles downstream on the Siuslaw to let them run the gauntlet again? I guess I am mistaken or perhaps they do after the required numbers of fish are met for spawning purposes.

Best,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
Thanks, rog.

I thought they used to move clipped (and unspawned) fish from the trap and transport them miles downstream on the Siuslaw to let them run the gauntlet again? I guess I am mistaken or perhaps they do after the required numbers of fish are met for spawning purposes.

Best,

as far as I know this year, they are either moving fish down to Munsel for spawning or recycling into Whitaker creek below the trap...

O
OnTheDrop
UHHHHHHH, What the hell is going on with the Siuslaw for Steel? A lot of rivers around the State are getting decent-to good returns. All I hear about the Slaw is dismal... Can anyone elaborate for me? I only fish the river occasionally for Nooks, as my territory is Alsea-North.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
SteelmonKiller20 said:
UHHHHHHH, What the hell is going on with the Siuslaw for Steel? A lot of rivers around the State are getting decent-to good returns. All I hear about the Slaw is dismal... Can anyone elaborate for me? I only fish the river occasionally for Nooks, as my territory is Alsea-North.

yeah I have not heard much good news from people fishing, I think a few more of our OFF folks fish it regularly but don't post much, maybe we can coax a report out of one or 2 of them... the best news from the trap at Whitaker has been lots are 3 salt fish with some nice weight to them...

hobster
hobster
rogerdodger said:
correct, they punch the gill plate and release in the creek below the trap but...

...spawning this year has moved down to the holding trap on Munsel Creek in Florence, we move the fish down to there and hold them for spawning when ready. the fish at Whitaker trap that we don't need are just milked out into the creek if they are ready and dropped into Whitaker creek below the trap, so I think they would be downrunners at that point...the fish spawned at Munsel each week are dropped into the creek where they can go into the Slaw by the Port launch and out to the ocean quick. cheers, roger

I meant gill, not fin, although i've seen them with tags on the fin (Mckenzie?) .Thanks Roger, glad you cleared that up for us about the downrunners. Always nice to hear it from the source.

SteelmonKiller20 said:

Slaw has been pretty bad the last 2 years, but this year seems better than last. There aren't tons of fish, but i think it's helped me become a better fisherman. Gotta work for em most of the time.

T
Tacomasteelheader
don't think its over yett i got chromers last year around march 28th up there i think the slaw is just a better February march run am i wrong?

P
plumb2fish
The smolts being reared at Letz creek have been lost to high water events the last couple years, that accounts for 15,000 smolts that didn't get released. I'm not sure where the rest went. But I do know that as few as 46,000 smolts have been released in the siuslaw basin on the last few years...that's half of the already low 100,000. When you consider the slaw has the second highest population density in the state hitting it....

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
plumb2fish said:
The smolts being reared at Letz creek have been lost to high water events the last couple years, that accounts for 15,000 smolts that didn't get released. I'm not sure where the rest went. But I do know that as few as 46,000 smolts have been released in the siuslaw basin on the last few years...that's half of the already low 100,000. When you consider the slaw has the second highest population density in the state hitting it....

that is why the change this year, we are fertilizing 200K+ eggs, splitting them as they are fertilized into 2 batches and racking half at our Florence STEP hatchery, sending 100K+ to the Alsea hatchery, and this approach means, with separate but identical 2 batches of 100K+ fry, that we are almost certain of planting the full 100K allowed under CMP. and the extra smolt, well lets hope they get planted into a variety of lakes to grow into big rainbows...next step, I hope, is a 'biter' broodstock program like is being run on other coastal rivers...

T
Tacomasteelheader
its more complicated than it seems people

currently working as (volunteer) for college at the leaburg hatchery program and its not as simple as it seems and its time consuming for the people who work there.

hobster
hobster
rogerdodger said:
that is why the change this year, we are fertilizing 200K+ eggs, splitting them as they are fertilized into 2 batches and racking half at our Florence STEP hatchery, sending 100K+ to the Alsea hatchery, and this approach means, with separate but identical 2 batches of 100K+ fry, that we are almost certain of planting the full 100K allowed under CMP. and the extra smolt, well lets hope they get planted into a variety of lakes to grow into big rainbows...next step, I hope, is a 'biter' broodstock program like is being run on other coastal rivers...

:thumb: