Betty Kay charter out of Charleston

D
Denduran87
Went out on the Betty Kay charter out of Charleston Oregon just south of coos bay Friday and had a blast. I made sure i double up on the dramamine as it was my first time on the ocean i didn't want to be miserable and the day was great. I caught over my limit of black rocks(upgraded for size giving the less fortunate the smaller yellow tails and blacks) and witnessed a nice 25 pound ling cod pulled up. Had a great day on the water it was sunny and the swells were pretty mild until the afternoon then 3 of our party started chumming. :lol: The deckhand and captain were really nice guys and I would recommend them for bottom fish although we were out for about 6 hours and were 2 limits shy for the party. Current was pretty heavy though. Next stop for me is hopefully tuna fishing once i do my research on charters and likelihood of fish. 200 bucks for a charter seems a little steep but i have only been looking for a little while so i'm bit inexperienced.

T
troutmasta
Denduran87 said:
Went out on the Betty Kay charter out of Charleston Oregon just south of coos bay Friday and had a blast. I made sure i double up on the dramamine as it was my first time on the ocean i didn't want to be miserable and the day was great. I caught over my limit of black rocks(upgraded for size giving the less fortunate the smaller yellow tails and blacks) and witnessed a nice 25 pound ling cod pulled up. Had a great day on the water it was sunny and the swells were pretty mild until the afternoon then 3 of our party started chumming. :lol: The deckhand and captain were really nice guys and I would recommend them for bottom fish although we were out for about 6 hours and were 2 limits shy for the party. Current was pretty heavy though. Next stop for me is hopefully tuna fishing once i do my research on charters and likelihood of fish. 200 bucks for a charter seems a little steep but i have only been looking for a little while so i'm bit inexperienced.

200 for a good Tuna Charter is a deal! On good tuna day your talking meat weighed in the hundereds of pounds.

Captains Reel out of Newport- Ask for Gerald (I have no affiliation other than slaying hundreds of pounds of tuna on his boat)

Dont go till end of July-ish through Aug. Just my $.02. Good luck

-TM

OH ya nice job on the blacks-Halibut fishing is that on steriods.

Last edited:
Y
Youngfishermen
Yes I went to newport north jetty caught 23 big rockfish and 1 28inch green lincod but nothing else.

O
orkfest
I agree with the Masta..End of August , first week of September has been my best trips. P.S. $300- seems like the norm every time I went out of Astoria.(for Albacore Tuna)..This was with West Coast Adventure.

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Sounds like you had a great time and the money was well spent. So jealous! :confused: :lol:

D
DYJ
ahhh.... the Betty Kay was the girl my brother bought for my bachelor party. That was a rough day on the ocean but lots of fish and good memories (once I sobered up and my buddies reminded me of them)

We tuna fish as much as possible on several private boats and split all costs from gas, to ice, to lost gear. Any money that is spent from the time the boat leaves the driveway to the time it gets backed into the driveway is split between crew members evenly (along with the catch). On a bigger boat with four guys that can be 125.00 each. So paying an extra $75.00 and not having to tow the boat over, bring your on gear, clean your own gear and the boat, clean your fish, and all the other preparation that goes into the trip is really worth it. I'd have tip money ready to because the Mary Kay deck hands will be busting their a$$ for ya.