Best chance for early springers/summer steel?

madasahab
madasahab
I want to take my girlfriend for the first time this weekend. I was thinking about the Nestucca, Trask or Wilson for some action? Any thoughts on this?

M
mahmichael
If you're taking her out fishing for the first time, just go somewhere that she can catch something. Don't go for big ones that are rare. Just make sure that where you go she catches a thing! The species is not important!!! Trout, bass, crappie,...
And make sure that there some birds around! :D
I don't know somewhere close to Salem, but Olalla reservoir (near Toledo) would be a good one for her this time of year.

My girlfriend and I went there yesterday and she loved it!

madasahab
madasahab
mahmichael said:
If you're taking her out fishing for the first time, just go somewhere that she can catch something. Don't go for big ones that are rare. Just make sure that where you go she catches a thing! The species is not important!!! Trout, bass, crappie,...
And make sure that there some birds around! :D
I don't know somewhere close to Salem, but Olalla reservoir (near Toledo) would be a good one for her this time of year.

My girlfriend and I went there yesterday and she loved it!

yeah, thanks, but we are after springers and steelhead...

S
SantiamDrifter
Coastal rivers just took a big bump. And with the moon phase right now, springers wont be very active on the coast. You could try summer steelhead tho. I'd look more into fishing the Siletz above moonshine if thats the case

H
Halfthrive
Fished the Wilson and Trask on wednesday and ended up with 7 steelhead. It was a springer trip to start but after a few hours of nothing and only one fish caught by some bankies we switched to steelhead with great results. 7 for 9 when the day was out. Fish were a mix of bright chrome to runbacks. There's still plenty of winter steel there.

madasahab
madasahab
Halfthrive said:
Fished the Wilson and Trask on wednesday and ended up with 7 steelhead. It was a springer trip to start but after a few hours of nothing and only one fish caught by some bankies we switched to steelhead with great results. 7 for 9 when the day was out. Fish were a mix of bright chrome to runbacks. There's still plenty of winter steel there.

Wow, nice job! I went over to the Nestucca...still slow...but soon!