Bass At Detroit - Where to start

F
Faclez
Hey OFF,

My family and I are heading out to Detroit later today and I have always fished trout at detroit, but wanted to try for bass this time. try to mix it up, Where do you guys usually head when fishing for bass at Detroit? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Ben

troutdude
troutdude
Are there bass in Detroit?

If you're tired of trout fishing, go deep and chase the Chinokanee!

T
tonym
Tell me more about these chinokanee please. I'll be out on Detroit Thursday and wouldn't mind a nudge in the right direction along with a nod towards the right gear.

troutdude
troutdude
I'm no expert, but here's what I can share. <I'd be happy, if other OFFers with more Chinokanee experience chime in on this>.

Kokanee are landlocked Sockeye; and Chinokanee are landlocked Nooks. The nooks are bigger than the kokes.

Chinokanee feed upon Kokes, Trout and other species.

The Kokes will be down deep, in their temp. range in the water. I believe that you'd find the Nooks just under them.

So, you'll need a boat with downriggers; to fish for either Kokes or Nooks.

To target the Nooks, I would personally use Rapala's that imitate a Koke's color pattern. I would also do what I could, to fish the "bait" erratically. In other words, make it turn, dive, rise, etc. to imitate a wounded "baitfish" (i.e. a struggling koke).

Good luck.

P.S. I find it more enjoyable (and easier) to use trolling rods w/ a trigger grip, and a low-profile casting reel...than a spin fishing set up.

troutdude
troutdude
BTW, I do not believe that there are any bass in Detroit. But, perhaps I'm mistaken.

H
halibuthitman
troutdude said:
BTW, I do not believe that there are any bass in Detroit. But, perhaps I'm mistaken.

im sure some nascar watchin cousin f... could fix that for ya with a white bucket and $25 worth of gas...;)

troutdude
troutdude
Yeah, I hear ya bro. I was thinkin' something like as I typed my reply. I hope there are NO bass in Detroit!

T
tonym
Well the boat that I'll be on doesn't have any down riggers so I might just tie a rock to the boat and use rubber bands and shower curtain rings if I can find 200' of rope. Just how deep could I expect to get with about 100yds of 12lb line out attached to a three way swivel loaded with a 2 oz tear drop bank fishing weight at 2-3mph? I was thinking this could work with the hootchies my gf bought me thinking they were for steel. The nooks seem too deep for a broke man but the kokes should be doable.