Hike in/ backpacking spots??

R
Roolinghills
I'd like to plan a trip for the coming summer (seems far away, but it's almost 2013 already!) and want to do some hike-in backpacking. I'd also like to get in to some trout fishing, maybe some nice streams holding steelhead if I can find a place near the coast, but probably going for trout.

Does anyone know of good places to check out? I was thinking about the Deschutes or a section of the P.C.T. but I'd like to do a circular hike if possible. Even thinking about hitting some of those Sierra Nevada lakes for the golden trout.... Hoping for 5-6 day hike and at least 3-4 days of fishing and relaxing..

I'm more than welcome to fellow OFF'ers joining. I'm just getting started on fly fishing and tying, so I'm far from an overwhelming expert. Just looking to get off the beaten path, away from the crowds and in to some fish! Got a pack I need to break in anyway..

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

S
Spydeyrch
Roolinghills said:
I'd like to plan a trip for the coming summer (seems far away, but it's almost 2013 already!) and want to do some hike-in backpacking. I'd also like to get in to some trout fishing, maybe some nice streams holding steelhead if I can find a place near the coast, but probably going for trout.

Does anyone know of good places to check out? I was thinking about the Deschutes or a section of the P.C.T. but I'd like to do a circular hike if possible. Even thinking about hitting some of those Sierra Nevada lakes for the golden trout.... Hoping for 5-6 day hike and at least 3-4 days of fishing and relaxing..

I'm more than welcome to fellow OFF'ers joining. I'm just getting started on fly fishing and tying, so I'm far from an overwhelming expert. Just looking to get off the beaten path, away from the crowds and in to some fish! Got a pack I need to break in anyway..

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Welcome Roolinghills! :clap:

I would recommend that you take a look at the High Alpine Lakes Thread here on the forum. Someone (who could it be? :think:) made a map that gives you some good info, i.e. location, name, species, etc.

Check it out and don't forget to leave a comment on the map's page for others to know how helpful it was!!! :D

Good luck and enjoy it!!

-Spydey

S
steelhead_slayer
A good book to check out is "fishing in oregon".

J
jrbecca
Would you be willing to take a tag-a-long? Especially if you hit some sections of the PCT? Would love to join you! What timeframe are you considering next year? The PCT in Oregon is most active in August because that's when most of the PCTers tackle it (the last weekend in August is actually PCT Days in Cascade Locks). Some of the Southern Coastal routes (thinking Rogue River trails) would offer some great fishing, but because some of the trail is carved into cliffs, August is not a great time to go--the trail gets way too hot.

I am familiar with the Timothy Lake area, but I'm not sure that's what you are looking for.

The nice thing about Oregon is that endless outdoor opportunities abound. There is always something new to discover. Best of luck in your planning!

R
Roolinghills
The good news is that I have "Fishing in Oregon"... I usually use it for stuff like the Sandy and Clack, 'specially coastal rivers. Haven't used it much for lakes, tho. I'll check it out..

I wouldn't be against a tag along. I think my girlfriend would actually like having another lady to hang out with. I'd like to go late July, early August. Probably 6-7 days all together.

I've read about a few spots up on Mount Hood that have some good fishing and aren't too intense of a hike. There's also some nice spots up in NE Oregon, "Wallowa Lakes"?

Then I also read about Cottonwood Lakes in California. Looks beautiful.. and gold trout? Yes please..

S
steelhead_slayer
You can also check in at the forest service, and get a list of lakes they stock by air

S
Spydeyrch
steelhead_slayer said:
You can also check in at the forest service, and get a list of lakes they stock by air

Or you could check the map in the high lakes thread here on the forum. I created a map that has all that info. :D

-Spydey

E
eggs
A lot of info has been put out there in the "high lakes" thread in the trout forum and fairly up to date.. but you will have to pry a few of the gem lakes out of my stone cold lifeless brain! :D

The opportunity to fish good lakes is what you make of it.. 10 miles not a soul and 10" rainbows.. or 2 mile hike share the lake with another group and 14" bows or brooks.. it's what you prefer. The 5 mile hike to a soulless lake with 18" bows/brooks/cutties is going to be a rare find!

S
steelhead_slayer
Spydeyrch said:
Or you could check the map in the high lakes thread here on the forum. I created a map that has all that info. :D

-Spydey

I just rechecked out that thread. sweet map!

S
Spydeyrch
steelhead_slayer said:
I just rechecked out that thread. sweet map!

Thanks man!! But Eggs needs some credit too. He was the one who started the thread and gave out some nice lakes!! I just decided to take it one step further and did some research to make a map. :D

-Spydey

E
eggs
yea that's a pretty money map!

J
jrbecca
Your timeframe won't work with mine--I'll be in Wyoming fishing the Grays. Best of luck to you. It sounds like you are finding some great resources here.