Avoiding swimmers...

R
redhawk50
So with the weather heating up and schools out for the summer, I am trying to figure out where to fish tomorrow. Should I try Upper Molalla or will that be jammed? Suggestions with in an hour of Canby? Read some reports of Butte Creek or that area? Thanks all.

T.

M
Modest_Man
Butte Creek is closed to the public. The upper Mo should be fine, lots of miles of river, and I've never had an issue with swimmers higher up.

R
redhawk50
That is what I was thinking just wanted to check. Thank you much.

R
redhawk50
Hit the upper Mo today. Got up late so not much shade on river and blue sky made for not a lot of action. Almost needed a sinking line and target some of the deep areas on such a sunny day as today. But it was a nice way to start summer vacation. Managed to dredge up one by adding a few more feet of tippet to get some depth with my floating line. No swimmers either.

M
Modest_Man
How far up did you go?

R
redhawk50
Went up just past the trailhead with the bathroom where all the horse trailers park. Wondered around. It is good water just didn't wake up early enough so it was sunny and clear water. One of my favorite spots had 3 cars in it so I skipped it.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Raincatcher said:
There is a park in Scotts Mills along Butte Creek with public fishing...so I've been told. http://www.co.marion.or.us/PW/Parks/descriptions/scottsmills.htm

Fishing around that park is pretty poor. I used to date a girl that lived literally right across the road from that park when I was younger - and I fished that stretch quite a bit and never did well. Above that park you have almost exclusively private water until you reach the upper sections that are state forest lands. The park itself is filled with splash & giggle crowds all summer long - since there's a low head dam there (remnants from the mill that was on the river) and a fish ladder. If they finish the logging project sometime this century - the creek is much better up stream near the falls. But that road is closed off because of logging operations.