Anything about spinners

F
fishin_fool
could be several things from curvature of the blade to wire size. Most likely in my mind there is an abnormality in something you have tried to copy that is giving off a different vibration that the fish are very well tuned into and causing them to strike..there has to be something very very small that has been overlooked.... Hope that helps

Mike

M
Mike123
I just picked up a few blades and components and made up some spinners real quick for tomorrow's outing... I'll post pics later.
Black nickle w/ green and red tape...
Hammered Brass w/ green and red tape....

Should nail a coho or two... hopefully a nook! :D

I need more weight bodies!! ahaha!

Last edited by a moderator:
F
FishFinger
Anyfishisfine said:
This chart shows the weight of body I should be using for a given blade size? Should I be including the wire and blade weight, or is that already accounted for?

Thanks!

The chart is for the entire weight of the spinner ie. A #3 spinner needs weight between .22 to .27 oz / 96.3 to 118.1 grams for the blade action to work efficiently.

B
bigdog
FishFinger said:
The chart is for the entire weight of the spinner ie. A #3 spinner needs weight between .22 to .27 oz / 96.3 to 118.1 grams for the blade action to work efficiently.

There is where I get messed up I don't have anything that reads that small of weight.

J
Jacks Tackle
FishFinger said:

Just curious where these weights came from?

Are they for .018, .022, .02, .028 or .032 blades?

What type of water or rivers is this for? Sounds alittle precise for the wide variety of rivers there are out there.

Can any one shed some light on this?

RB

N
nel
nel

nel

Hi
few weeks back was a well info. for home made spiner ( parts, weights etc.)
any help is welcome
thanks

B
beaverfan
Huh? Totaly lost me!

W
wormosa
bigdog said:
See now I don't even know what this tuning means don't know how to tune or make it tunable I do know to make the wire a little longer(long enough to put two fingures together to spin the spinner) but as far as what tuning means or how to tune no clue. Then there is the weight no clue what weight for what size blade. So here is a good start to this fourm I'm sure someone can lend a hand in on this
The bath tub seems like a great place to test spinners if it wasn't for the sharp hook I would just give them to my 6 year old to test them for me but then she would get stuck:lol:
On the subject of getting stuck :lol: one of my dogs got ahold of one of my jigs:lol::lol::lol: I'm sure you all know where this one is going just picture a dog with a green jig hooked and hanging out the mouth. We are just happy she didn't swallow it.
been there with one of my 3 dogs....mine are boxers and man did this scare the heck out of me lol.... easy fix and i am sure it will scare the heck out of me again...

C
ClearCreek
nel said:
Hi
few weeks back was a well info. for home made spiner ( parts, weights etc.)
any help is welcome
thanks

nel - look at post #103 on this thread - is this what you are looking for?

But, Jacks Tackle a few posts later has a good question that nobody has answered yet.

ClearCreek

J
Jacks Tackle
I am curious about the answer to my question. I see a lot of people who put out info on the net as though it is gospel or written in stone but wonder what kinda experience is behind it. I wonder if it is the blind leading the blind only the leader has a shinier pair of dark shades so the follower follows.

I can say in the last 9 years I have caught no less than 100 steelhead a year. Most years far more and I gotta say I really disagree with that chart. Not that the weights wont work but they will lead to very minimal success over the course of a year if shared region wide. Example a guy on the deschutes may do very well following that chart for the late summer and early fall, but a guy on the north Umpqua would struggle to put up 3 digit numbers with the same chart.

Some times I think people try to find the exact way to spinner fish and they totally miss the most important parts of spinner fishing.

RB

F
FishFinger
Jacks Tackle said:
Just curious where these weights came from?

Are they for .018, .022, .02, .028 or .032 blades?

What type of water or rivers is this for? Sounds alittle precise for the wide variety of rivers there are out there.

Can any one shed some light on this?

RB

Those ratios come straight for Bill Williamson @ BC Angling Post. I imagine you've heard of him?

As well the silly notion of balancing and tuning came from him and his operation. As he will tell you himself more than 20+ yrs of research have gone into his spinner designs.

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough.... These are the benchmark weights to properly drive a #18 french bladed casting spinner.

To each, his own I suppose, as there are many people trying to build a better wheel. In fact I was once told by a local spinner fabricator that "the best lures for salmon are quick fish, and they wobble side to side; if you can make your spinner do that too, it should work even better".

But maybe it's really the UV coating.........

** Digi scales are $$$ I opted to go with a loading scale; hence the conversion to grains

J
Jacks Tackle
you mean a .018 french blade. The thinnest, cheapest blades that Lakeland stamps. Why would any one strive to fish that blade other than to skimp cost?

Last time I checked the only person paid to write a book that has been a top seller has said to avoid thinner blades.

Tuning? Maybe some importance on tough fisheries but its hard to put stock into it when 79 fish in 9 hours hammered spinners so bent up they limped on the way down.

I still think many people put too much into things like balance and such when there are far more important factors involved.

Now not to put down Bill Williamson, He has some of the greatest paint work on the market and ya of course when you build a spinner you want it straight of course, but again if every time your spinner bends out of whack, do you take it off and start over? If you you can make it spin and you have aggressive fish below you? Whats a more important factor? The tuning of a spinner or the presence of an aggressive fish?

F
Fishtopher
Jacks Tackle said:
I still think many people put too much into things like balance and such when there are far more important factors involved.

Share with the class?

J
Jacks Tackle
Ok

well many factors such as spinner selection, balance and gear go out the door if the main ingrediant is not included. An aggressive fish!

Hatchery coho season brings out many successful spinner because the fish are so easy to find.Many of these fisherman diappear during winter steelhead season where skill becomes so much more important.

Covering water will lead to more fish than anything including spinner selection. So many people get stuck on spinner selection and spend half the day switching colors. They get stuck thinking and never cover more than one or two holes. Or they worry about balance and spend time on a piece of water thinking that there should be a fish there and since the spinner is balanced it should catch one. I caught a lot of fish back in the late 90's on simple buds spinners. People always asked me what I was using but the point is that its not what I was using, it was how many spots I covered in a day.

I just find it funny how every one is so caught up in things that will never get the spinner infront of a fish and that is whats important. Once you learn how to cover water and how to fish effectively then you will fine tune your spinners to match your style. You will teak your weight to balance your rod and line angle and find that a chart is really different for every one as well as the different rivers they fish.

RB

F
FishFinger
Jacks Tackle said:
Tuning? Maybe some importance on tough fisheries but its hard to put stock into it when 79 fish in 9 hours hammered spinners so bent up they limped on the way down.

So you have perfected the spinner that swims like a quick fish? I remember the afternoon you shared that theory. Hats off, to your innovations.

M
Mrs. R & B
Please Delete

Last edited:
J
Jacks Tackle
FishFinger said:
So you have perfected the spinner that swims like a quick fish? I remember the afternoon you shared that theory. Hats off, to your innovations.

No it simply means I am not selling theories that are guided towards sales. The info I give will work no matter what brand of spinner you use. It also means that every guide that I know of, maybe not every guide out there but the ones that I know, throw tuning out the door when there is a hot bite going on and they need to get fish in the boat now. If you have an aggressive fish present, than all it has to do is spin!

You can quote who ever you want but it is of no service to people getting started if you show them nothing in the way of putting the offering in front of a fish.

You dont have to agree with me but I will give my two cents just as every one else on the board has the right to.

And ya I have been paid for my writings to be published so I am guessing their is some value to them.

RB

F
FishFinger
fair enough, we can agree to disagree. I am firmly embedded in the tuning does matter camp, if for no other reason than to establish a point to standardize a design to function in specific manor consistently. From that point adjustments can always be made to tweak the way a spinner swims and it's over all action.

And ya, Al Gore won a Oscar for his theories, that alone doesn't make them right.

J
Jacks Tackle
fair enough.

I do agree tuning is important as a start. Especially when you are fishing a fishery for one bite a day. I just believe that in many cases when fish are aggressive the tuning goes out the door. I will say also that tuning becomes very important on wider blades such as colorado's and especially when anchor fishing.

I just hear a lot of very confused beginning spinner fisherman that were taught all the important stuff but still can't catch a fish because no one taught them the important issue of how to fish the spinner or how to read and cover water.

RB

C
carl hungis
:wall: interesting read

Last edited: