Anyone up for some ice fishing this winter?

N
Ntofishing
For those of you that are planning on braving the elements.... here is a little safety protocol.

Ice Safety

D
danroecker
I'd love to join. I moved from Utah to Oregon 18 months ago and miss my ice fishing.... I've got some gear and a little bit of know-how for trout. I've got an auger, fishin poles, 2-man pop-up ice shelter, and a portable heater if it gets really cold. Please keep me posted.

N
Ntofishing
I went up there yesterday... the ice is firm and in the spots I fished was more than the reported 2 inches posted on their website. There are plenty of drilled holes from other fishermen that can be reopened if you don't have an auger or you can rent one from the bait shop. Make sure you bring bait or lures that you plan to use since the mark up at said bait shop is incredible. From what I saw around the holes Power bait is the bait of choice in some kind of rainbow color some even had sparkles. I was able to coax one to bite my Kastmaster vertically jigged up the water column.

Now the question is who is in and what is the date........

D
danroecker
At first glance, all weekends in February look open for me but I'd need to check with the boss-lady at home to be sure. I'd be coming down from Portland (5hr drive?) so would likely stay overnight.

A couple of questions:

1) What is the "best" driving route from Portland to Diamond lake. Google maps shows highway 58 past Odell Lake is the quickest but I've never driven this path and wonder if it's maintained well (snow) or if going around through Bend/La Pine is a more "safe" and reliable route.

2) In Utah I typically used jigs or ice flies tipped with meal worms or wax worms for trout ice-fishing. Does that technique work at Diamon or should I be prepared with some other tackle? Sounds like Power Bait is a popular choice. Also, anyone know where I can get meal or wax worms?

Thanks,
Dan

R
RoryONeal
Anyone notice that ODFW is holding an Ice Fishing seminar at Diamond Lake Feb 9-10 from 8:00-5:00? I guess it's educational from 8-12, and the rest of the time is spent fishing. It's $40 a head. I was thinking of going, but did not want to go alone.

M
Mad dog
RoryONeal said:
Anyone notice that ODFW is holding an Ice Fishing seminar at Diamond Lake Feb 9-10 from 8:00-5:00? I guess it's educational from 8-12, and the rest of the time is spent fishing. It's $40 a head. I was thinking of going, but did not want to go alone.

If you go with a bunch of OFF'ers you aint gonna need an ice fishing seminar....save your $40.00!!!

If the ODFW is going to mess up the 9th and 10th with their little seminar, let's shoot for the 16th and 17th....weather permitting!

Let's start taking a rough head count of who wants in. If we plan ahead we can reserve a few rooms at the lodge and cram as many as we comfortable can in each room to split the cost....sounds like a party waiting to happen!

M
Mad dog
the_intimidator03 said:
Oo I am interested... I miss ice fishing, I have been wanting to head up there when the weather isn't horrible so i can make it in my 2wd truck LOL.

Let's head up together if things work out.

R
RoryONeal
Mad dog said:
If you go with a bunch of OFF'ers you aint gonna need an ice fishing seminar....save your $40.00!!!

If the ODFW is going to mess up the 9th and 10th with their little seminar, let's shoot for the 16th and 17th....weather permitting!

Let's start taking a rough head count of who wants in. If we plan ahead we can reserve a few rooms at the lodge and cram as many as we comfortable can in each room to split the cost....sounds like a party waiting to happen!

I've just never been ice fishing before and I would hate to be the OFF noob. I am certainly up for going though, sounds like fun. I'm just unsure of the gear I would "need" for this trip.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Mad dog said:

I imagine with all the OFF'ers in one spot, we'd be able to put on a better clinic than ODFW.

Count me in for the 16th & 17th, and I might be able to coax a friend or two in coming along as well.

M
Mad dog
eat said:
I imagine with all the OFF'ers in one spot, we'd be able to put on a better clinic than ODFW.

Count me in for the 16th & 17th, and I might be able to coax a friend or two in coming along as well.

Sounds good....let's get this thing rolling!

Ice fishing standby's....velveta cheese!!! Most trout baits will work in the winter, worms, salmon eggs, powerbait, those small cooked shrimp you put on salads, crappie jigs, marabou jigs, jigging spoons like a crippled herring. It might be a good idea to have a 2 rod validation as well. I like lite rods with 6lb. line and your typical powerbait rig for fishing bait.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Anyone still interested???? I know I am!

D
danroecker
Sounds fun, I'm game.

Anyone coming Portland area? I've got a truck and will have plenty of room if you want to ride along.

R
RoryONeal
I would like to go as well, but I am not sure what my schedule is yet. Even though that weekend is a 3 day weekend for me, I might have to work and I won't know for sure until the weekend before. IF I do end up going, I can probably offer a ride to people but I might end up staying the night there.

F
fishtales
I have been thinking about going. I'm leaning towrds a day trip from Portland.

T
the_intimidator03
I Think I could manage to get my license and some gear in time to go. With some to spare. If I could carpool with someone it would be great (my vehicle is 2wd ranger) although i should be able to get a set of chains and have no issues getting there

We need to make sure who's all up for this.

Last edited:
D
danroecker
Did this idea fizzle out or are people heading down this weekend?

T
the_intimidator03
I am trying to find out who is going and who isn't. I am willing to head out if a couple others want to go. Also got a tip from state patrol that garlic has been working good up there

L
lilsalmon
Sounds like fun, but....how does one fly fish in the ice? Too bad I have to work. Hope you all have a great time.

T
the_intimidator03
sinking line lol

T
the_intimidator03
well Looks like that with the cost of fishing license and fuel I wont be able to make it up to diamond.