Anyone been sturgeon fishing Oregon City.

T
TJR_84
Im gonna be on the water Thursday, im either gonna go CR sturgeon in oregon city or newport and fish the jetty, anyone have any recent reports on either?

T
troutmasta
My buddy just C&Rd the OC. They got four I think 2 shakers, a would be keeper, and a slighlty oversize. As far as the jetty goes...The pacific ocean has never let me down. If theres no fish theres always crab! and beer!

I
igquick
troutmasta said:
My buddy just C&Rd the OC. They got four I think 2 shakers, a would be keeper, and a slighlty oversize. As far as the jetty goes...The pacific ocean has never let me down. If theres no fish theres always crab! and beer!

What bait did he use?

T
troutmasta
igquick said:
What bait did he use?

sand shrimp, and squid. I like the pickled squid myself.

I
igquick
Cool...is there a specific way u rig sandshrimp?

T
troutmasta
I dont sturgeon fish often but I used to use a sand shrimp worm combo I would use stretchy thread and use like two of em. The pickled squid are money cause they dont come apart you can get lots of bites and your bait doesn't come off.

bass
bass
I have been fishing a bit lower in the river than OC but the sturgeon bite has been pretty hot lately and getting better each week. Last time out I ended up catching 5 in a couple of hours, 4 were legal sized and one was between 6 and 7'. If you want to read about it:

I would imagine the bit is equally good up near OC. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I
igquick
Were u around clackamette park a week or two ago?

bass
bass
igquick said:
Were u around clackamette park a week or two ago?

If you are talking to me, then no that was not me. I was fishing between George Rogers park and Cedar Oak park the Sunday before last.

I
igquick
I was at the clackamas river and saw a kayak fishin around where the clackamas enters the willamette...I thought it was u sturgeon fishin for them because something big jumped near it

bass
bass
igquick said:
I was at the clackamas river and saw a kayak fishin around where the clackamas enters the willamette...I thought it was u sturgeon fishin for them because something big jumped near it

Probably was someone fishing for sturgeon from a kayak. There are quite a few folks who do it, they just do not post very often on this site. I have been out on days when there were as many as 15 folks in their kayaks out chasing sturgeon.

I
igquick
Thats pretty cool...I caught sturgeon around that area not directly....have u fished em around that area im talkin about? Where the clackamas enters the willamette?

T
TJR_84
We fished hard in the jetty, it was a little rough and we did not catch anything. We did end up with 2 limits of crab. The weather was amazing. Very warm and light wind. like they say "any day on the water is a good one."

T
TeamRamRod
I've done pretty good there below the bridge in Oregon city that just reopened. I was the pickled squid as well. Money for sturgeon! Bait usually lasts bout 3 or so fish. An I dump it in the juice every cast.

bass
bass
TJR_84 said:
We fished hard in the jetty, it was a little rough and we did not catch anything. We did end up with 2 limits of crab. The weather was amazing. Very warm and light wind. like they say "any day on the water is a good one."

Thanks for letting us know how you did. Sorry the bite was not better. Still always nice just to even be around the ocean. Plus, two limits of crab is a pretty nice consolation prize!

T
TJR_84
It was nice not to come home empty handed, I kinda did cause i can't eat crab. But it is nice to be around the ocean! I wil be heading to oc next week.

bass
bass
TJR_84 said:
It was nice not to come home empty handed, I kinda did cause i can't eat crab. But it is nice to be around the ocean! I wil be heading to oc next week.

Bummer to not be able to eat crab!

Good luck when you head out to OC. I have not been able to go out for the past two weekends and it may be two more before I get out :( The river is going to be a completely different beast by the time I get to see it again. Please keep us posted if you get out.