Ain't no worm like a San Juan Worm

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Z5x2VIy.jpg

... and I got a nice raccoon tan while I was at it!

Reactions: igquick
I
igquick
Nice carp! Where at?

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Somewhere in North Portland. ;)

J
john montana
Congrats! Nice fish...

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Thank ya sir! I almost gave you props again for getting me started, but I figured you'd start thinking I was a stalker. (Which I am, but mostly of Cheetos... long story)

That worm was one of the original 12 I tied. I'm about due for a new batch. Good times.

J
john montana
The worm works. I was probably 80/20 hybrid to worm on Sunday, but the biggest one ate the worm. If you want to get really fancy try one of Trevor tanner's Trouser Worms. I love that fly, mostly because it sinks like a rock so I can drop it right on deep water tailers.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Ah yes! The guys at Royal Treatment were talking about that worm the other day. Looks downright wicked.

I haven't made it out to the Big C just yet - still keeping close to home as an on-call dad of a newborn, but I'm enjoying the crap out of the action when I can get it. Think I'm going to be up on the Klickitat next week on the hunt for steelhead, which is usually more exercise than action for this angler, but I'm getting a better feel for things in the carp scene.

Thanks for your response on FB about the 'countdown,' too. Do you typically set as soon as the fly would hit the bottom (if you can't see), or do you wait a beat? I know my flies are right, my cast is on, and fish are tailing... but I just can't seem to get the set in anything other than pristine conditions... and that ain't the norm, as you well know. ;)

J
john montana
I count it down just to know when it hits, but I don't set blind. As I count I watch the fish for cues. That big one was just a white flash as it opened its mouth. Sometimes you see the gills flare or the tail speed up etc. it really helps if you can put the fly to side and make them turn their head.

S
steelhead_slayer
Awesome fish. Those big carp look like fun on a fly

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
That they are, steelhead_slayer. Also looking forward to getting back on the hunt for steel next week.

S
steelhead_slayer
I hear you. I am itching for some chrome

bass
bass
Nice fish! Great that you can get some fishing in with a newborn. Good luck with the chrome.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Thanks man! Yup... I was genuinely worried that it would be a summer without fish for the Pinkster, but I'm fairly certain I'm already ahead of last year's count... whatever that was. I'm not able to get as far out as I'd like, but at least I'm on the water. Now if this heat would just break...

W
wozniasm
Nice job PG!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Thanks Woz!

T
troutmasta
Well done! Im gonna have to try that!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
I highly recommend it. We have one the very best carp fishers in the country right here in this thread - Mr. John Montana. If you don't read up on what he has to say about fishing in the area, it's your own damn fault.