Advice on bass fishing

S
Spydeyrch
Hey there guys, I normally don't post in this section but I was hoping to get some input from you all. I have a friend (50+ years old) that I am going to be taking to do some bass fishing on a small private lake filled with bass, blue gill, and other sun fish. We will be going sometime in the middle of June, not exactly sure as to an exact date.

But my question is: what time in the morning would be a good time to start? There is no cover on this lake (i.e. Over hanging trees, fallen logs, etc.) There are just large weed beds, cattails all around the edge of the lake, a floating dock on one side and a floating dock in the middle of the lake.

I have fished it before and have caught some nice bass there so I know where they are typically at.

My only concern is if I start too early will I be casting for a few hours before the bass usually get active? I would hate to have my friend get all tired out before the bass even start biting hahahahahaha :lol:

Any insight you might have is very much appreciated. Thank you! :)

-Spydey

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane
T
tomriker
bass night fishing is fun... depends how early you want to wake up?? if you go and are on the water before dawn topwater will work till the sun gets up, if it's overcast it will work longer. when its hot out, the fishing usually shuts off midday until evening again. but on a private pond it could be different

T
Throbbit _Shane
Bass will bite at any hour. Some people do really well at night fishing for them. Iv done really well right around when the sun comes up, and the water is usually calm then.

If it's private water it shouldnt matter much when you fish :D :D

troutdude
troutdude
Spydeyrch said:
I would hate to have my friend get all tired out before the bass even start biting hahahahahaha :lol:

-Spydey

Hey wise guy...some of us resemble that remark. :shock:

So, don't push your luck! :naughty:

However, IF you were to invite a certain TROUTDUDE to go bass fishing with you...then, a certain TROUTDUDE; just might be willing to forgive the errors of your ways. :pray:

T
tomriker
troutdude said:
However, IF you were to invite a certain TROUTDUDE to go bass fishing with you...then, a certain TROUTDUDE; just might be willing to forgive the errors of your ways. :pray:

don't count on him showing up spydey:lol::lol: he will probably be taking a nap:think:

troutdude
troutdude
tomriker said:
don't count on him showing up spydey:lol::lol: he will probably be taking a nap:think:

OUCH! (for the record, I was WORKING on a Saturday...and the week before was filling in to teach Sunday school). Don't believe everything you hear Spydey!

Reactions: lilsalmon
brandon4455
brandon4455
i would get there a little before light..like 5am or something...throw divers like i did last time!!!

C
colbypearson
Depending on how pressured this body of water is and considering the fact that there is little available cover for the fish to crowd into when the sun comes up, I personally would prefer to go at night or atleast take advantage of low light hours. In reservoirs with little cover atleast pressured lakes down here when its hot, the fish tend to go deeper or bury themselves in weed beds making them a pain to catch, but I love fishing around submerged weed beds at night and during low light with spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and chatterbaits all black during the night. I personally kindof like night fishing, going out in the late afternoon then fishing until after dawn just fits my style maybe, wish I could do it more.

Given the circumstances if you could get on the water at sun up you should be in good shape regardless, depending on how productive the pond is...it may not matter.

T
tomriker
we should have a night tourny next time colby...

C
colbypearson
tomriker said:
we should have a night tourny next time colby...

That we should!

C
catfishman89
I would start out about 45 minutes before sunrise at least. My philosophy is its never too early. I have caught some nice bass when i could barely see the water. Typically in summer the bite picks up when the sunrises and for a few more hours. Then fish deeper or under docks or the shady side of structures. Thats usually when the pleasure boaters show up and I roll out. Lakes with clear water and little structure are a pain to catch anything during the day. Evenings into sunset are good too.

S
Spydeyrch
tomriker said:
bass night fishing is fun... depends how early you want to wake up?? if you go and are on the water before dawn topwater will work till the sun gets up, if it's overcast it will work longer. when its hot out, the fishing usually shuts off midday until evening again. but on a private pond it could be different

Great. :clap: Thanks for the info. I don't know how early we will be able to get there or not but hopefully we can get there around 5am, even though the sun is already starting to come up. but I think it will still be good. :think: ....... at least I hope so! :lol:

Throbbit_Shane said:
If it's private water it shouldnt matter much when you fish

Yes, the water is private. No one really fishes it unless it is a summer camp that my friend, the owner, runs, or if I go and fish it. That is about all the action that it gets. So the fish really aren't too spooky and hang out in the shallows almost all day, even in hot weather. there are a number of weeds in the shallows though. :D

troutdude said:
Hey wise guy...some of us resemble that remark.

So, don't push your luck!

However, IF you were to invite a certain TROUTDUDE to go bass fishing with you...then, a certain TROUTDUDE; just might be willing to forgive the errors of your ways.
tomriker said:
don't count on him showing up spydey he will probably be taking a nap
troutdude said:
OUCH! (for the record, I was WORKING on a Saturday...and the week before was filling in to teach Sunday school). Don't believe everything you hear Spydey!

Hahahahahaha :lol: you guys crack me up!!! Thanks for the humor. And TD, I no offense intended. Just 'cause one is 50+ years in age doesn't mean that they can't get around, right. I mean they still can use their hover round mobile chair, right. :D :lol: hahahahahahaha Just kidding. My friend did just fine. My dad is going to be 52 this year and he istill runs to work and rides his bike to and from work. My grandpa is in his later 70s and still kicks his son's and grandson's butts in basketball. He can take on 3 of us at once and beat us all ... without breaking a sweat. And two of us 3 are high school basketball stars!!! (Not me!! :D)

So I very much respect my elder leaders. :D ;)

And TD, if you would like to go, you are welcome to join us. Do you have a boat or a floating device you could bring? It is better fished from a floating device. We have one but it will only fit 2 comfortably, and 3 tightly.

brandon4455 said:
i would get there a little before light..like 5am or something...throw divers like i did last time!!!

You're going, right brandon? Yes, I was going to pick up some divers and poppers too. You're going to make/tie some poppers up, right?

colbypearson said:
Given the circumstances if you could get on the water at sun up you should be in good shape regardless, depending on how productive the pond is...it may not matter.

Thank you Colby. Good luck on your endeavors and competitions. :D :clap:

catfishman89 said:
I would start out about 45 minutes before sunrise at least. My philosophy is its never too early. I have caught some nice bass when i could barely see the water. Typically in summer the bite picks up when the sunrises and for a few more hours. Then fish deeper or under docks or the shady side of structures. Thats usually when the pleasure boaters show up and I roll out. Lakes with clear water and little structure are a pain to catch anything during the day. Evenings into sunset are good too.

Thanks for the info catfishman89.

So it looks like the majority have stated that nights/mornings are the best time to go.

Thanks again for the info everyone .... :lol: and the laughs :lol:

Take care and have fun on the water!!

-Spydey

C
catfishman89
I thought all you old people woke up early:D People think im insane when I tell them I got to the boatramp at 400 am.

Reactions: colt
T
tomriker
from march-november im up between 5-530 every morning, and then hibernate in the winter a bit lol, but i am kinda like a bear.... i feel bad for the people that fish with me, most of them drive an hour to get here so when i want to be on the water at 5.. that means even earlier for them! suckas