Advice on a 2wt fly rod

S
Spydeyrch
bass said:
Thanks for all of the input guys, especially Spydey for coming back from the dead :)

I should also mention that I am not looking to break the bank (not sure what a Scott rod costs but it sounds expensive). The rods I have right now are a Pflueger, Fenwick, Reddington. My rods cost between $50 and $145. I like less expensive rods because I don't cry as much if they break :)

I got my 1wt setup from don at river city. The rod was like $190, I think. The reel was like $70. And don gave me a free backing, fly line, and leader. It was worth the $260.

You could also get a cabelas glass rod. They are pretty sweet rods. But if you want to go super cheap, get an eagleclaw featherweight. That is one awesome cheap glass rod. I think it runs for less than $50. Granted, I think the lightest it goes is a 4/5 wt. but I could be wrong.

Have fun and enjoy what ever rod you get.

But really, give that eagleclaw a try!!

:D

Last edited:
bass
bass
Spydeyrch said:
I got my 1wt setup from don at river city. The rod was like $190, I think. The reel was like $70. And don gave me a free backing, fly line, and leader. It was worth the $260.

You could also get a cabelas glass rod. They are pretty sweet rods. But if you want to go super cheap, get an eagleclaw featherweight. That is one awesome cheap glass rod. I think it runs for less than $50. Granted, I think the lightest it goes is a 4/5 wt. but I could be wrong.

Have fun and enjoy what ever rod you get.

But really, give that eagleclaw a try!!

:D

Thanks Spydey. The TFO rod was about $150 if I recall, reels were $50 to $100. I considered that to be near my upper limit of what I am comfortable waving around. I can't imagine how tense I would be when fishing with a $600 rod. What if I got a smudge on it :)

H
halibuthitman
The eagle claw 4wt can be purchased on eBay for around $20, paired with a pfleuglar trion reel around $50 and a royal Wulff triangle taper line... $55- $65 you will have a sweet crick rod for around $130 bucks.. I would shy away from any 4wt and under that is longer than 7.5 ft...

troutdude
troutdude
TFO rods are nice for the money. But old school Eagle Claws are SWEET glass!!!

bass
bass
halibuthitman said:
The eagle claw 4wt can be purchased on eBay for around $20, paired with a pfleuglar trion reel around $50 and a royal Wulff triangle taper line... $55- $65 you will have a sweet crick rod for around $130 bucks.. I would shy away from any 4wt and under that is longer than 7.5 ft...

Thanks. I am a bit concerned about how frail a long, lightweight rod might me - which was one of my reasons for starting this thread. About 40 years ago I had a 6' Fenglass rod that was a 5 or 6 wt (can't remember, long since broken). I think was as light of a weight line as you could get back then. That was a fun rod, but at 6' it certainly had its limitations.

No matter what rod size I get I am sure that there will be situations where I rue not making the alternate choice. What I really need is a rod where I can add lower sections and convert it from a 7' slow action rod to a 9' medium action rod depending upon whether the lower sections are used or not. Maybe the lower sections can simply telescope and all the action of the rod is in the top 7'.

R
Richard W T
I'm a big fan of 3wts. I have several and they are a pretty versatile little rod. One of my latest purchases was a little glass rod and it was some of the most fun I've ever had. You can really feel the fight all the way down in the handle. Made those little 12 inchers feel like steelhead! Enjoy whatever you end up with. UL is a ton of fun!

bass
bass
This is an old thread but I felt like I owed folks an update. I was planning on buying the 2 weight because my son was not showing much interest in fishing and so I thought I would start doing more solo fly fishing. However, shortly after this thread was started he suddenly started to want to go fishing again. I am really happy about that.

I may get a 2 weight in the future if his enthusiasm wains but for now this is on hold. Thanks again for all of the input and insight.

troutdude
troutdude
Glad that the wee one's interest is back!

J
JonT
I wouldn't trade my Echo fiberglass 3 wt for any other rod.