Abu Garcia Ambassadeur bait caster question

troutdude
troutdude
I've just picked up, a gently used Ambassadeur "Royal Express" 1 reel. I believe, that Cabela's originally sold these (and maybe Walmart too).

Does anyone else have any of these reels? If so, how do you like it/them? I'm looking forward to using mine.

hobster
hobster
I have an old 1977 Ambassadeur 5500 which i really like. I good friend bought it new and barely used it, its a great reel. I guess that didn't really answer your question though, sorry. :confused:

J
jeffcycles
Excellent reels, I've used a Royal Express 3 which has the higher 6.3 ratio, very nice when drift fishing. Like other Abu traditional reels, the larger profile can feel very strange if used to palming the more popular low-profile reels. It should make an excellent steelhead/coho fishing reel.

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks guys. My Express 1, also has the 6.3:1 gear ratio. And it's profile is larger than, the low profile reels I am used to. But, not by much. Yep, I'm planning to use it for steel and ho's. Got it for $30, and it's only lightly used (if at all). I even have the box, and all of the original paperwork.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at two more reels:

Abu Pro Express for $15
Abu 5501c3 for $30

Then, I should have what I need. I wanted two, or three, such reels. I also want to try them, for trolling too (for larger trout, chinokanee, etc).

F
fishindude
I had a " Royal Express" that I used for steelhead mostly. I traded it for a 5501c3 because I didn't care for the thumbar release.Just my preference.It was a great reel , very comfortable,smooth drag and casted nicely.

troutdude
troutdude
Ha ha ha. What a coincidence. I met up w/ a other fellow today, and I bought a 5501c3! Now, I have both.

There is indeed a little difference, in the thumbar design. I'm not sure which I'll like best.

One thing I like about both, is they are made in Sweden. They also both have double grip handles.

BTW, I paid $30 for the Royal Express (nearly new condition). And I paid $25, for a more used but still usable 5501c3: some scuffs, tiny dings, n' boat rash, but no major dents or damage. That's a little more than I'd usually pay. But, I'm happy. What do you guys think?