In need of an opinion. Gear wise

T
the_intimidator03
Well down at the local pawn shop I found a 8 1/2 foot daiwa regal strike SK 16c casting rod that is rated light @ 8-14lb line. Attached is an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000. My question is for general bank (i know a little longer would be better) fishing would this work for steelies and maybe some coho? I do think it is light for Chinook. The whole set up is about 50 bucks

I also found a Pfluger Trion 66 but it does not have a Price on it (someone ripped the tag off it seems) Was wondering if that would be a suitable reel for Steel and silvers? Just thought I would get some opinions as I do need some heavier gear than what I currently have

troutdude
troutdude
In regards to the Daiwa and Abu reel...good price. Fine for steel and ho's. I've used LOTS of 8 or 8.5 footers. But, NOT for nooks. It's too light, and won't support the right line for big fish.

I'll defer on the Pflueger, to someone else.

T
the_intimidator03
ty Troutdude. I figured the Daiwa and abu combo would be suitable for the steel and ho's I just wanted a confirmation on that. I am sure a 9 1/2 foot rod would be better suited from the bank.

troutdude
troutdude
Your welcome.

Yeah, it seems to all the rage these days...to use longer rods. But, IDK if they are really any better than an 8.5 footer. Of course, it also depends on your method: drifting, floating, spoons/spinners, etc.

W
waco
I think that's perfect for drift fishing for steelhead and coho! You can throw some lures with it too but IMO too short for float fishing

T
the_intimidator03
Ty for the input waco. I know I COULD float fish but really hard to mend line with the shorter rod. now if i was over 7ft tall I think I could manage LOL. I will see what money brings this week and probably go pick it up

D
dtikey
I use 8'6" almost all the time for drift fishing I dont have any reason not to.When I fish little rivers and larger creeks for winters I even drop down to a 8' drift rod for convience.My bobber rods are 9'6" and 10'6" but that is all they are used for.The length of rod your looking at is perfect for me for most situations

NWDiscer
NWDiscer
the_intimidator03 said:
I also found a Pfluger Trion 66 but it does not have a Price on it (someone ripped the tag off it seems) Was wondering if that would be a suitable reel for Steel and silvers? Just thought I would get some opinions as I do need some heavier gear than what I currently have

i picked up a used 3745 Trion and loaded it with 10lb big game and put it on a 6' southbend :shock: then a couple weeks ago i got to land my 1st Native Summer Steel about 28-30" 7-8# the reel worked great. I for sure want to get another rod to use it with before the Winters roll up river though.

N
nativefish
i got a couple pflugers, and they work awesome

T
the_intimidator03
Well I was planning on picking up the outfit today, however Unemployment has deemed to screw with me some more. Went from invalid claim... to valid... to invalid now. will have to contact them in the morning.

P
plumb2fish
I love to use my 8'6" 8-17lb rod with a pfleuger trion and 12lb maxima for small river chinook, springers, and winter steel....drift fishing....for Bobber, I jig fish steelhead with my 9'6" side drifting rod....its a kick in the butt

L
lizardman
The rod and reel will work fine for all three (steel, hos, nooks) just remember to play the fish out. I have caught 35-37 iunch nooks on a cheap Silstar rod (Coast to Coast brand made in Korea) many times and it was only a 6.5 foot rod using 15 pound test Maxima Chameleon line and the silstar reel.
Yes longer is nicer, but this will work, and if it breaks right a story about how it broke and send it in to the company that made the rod (you never know what will happen), don't badmouth the rod, just explain how big the fish was that broke your rod and what a blast it was to have that fish on (I have sent a couple write ups to fishing gear manufacturers without asking them for anything; merely relating my fishing experience and they sent me free gear such as hats, line, soft baits, etc...).

Dave

H
halibuthitman
If he wants $50... don't pay more than $40, and get the Pflueger.. its a great reel.

T
the_intimidator03
well If I can even gather the money I will try and haggle the price. its a pawn shop afterall. I should know more in the morning on my situation... need bigger gear damnit lol

H
halibuthitman
the_intimidator03 said:
well If I can even gather the money I will try and haggle the price. its a pawn shop afterall. I should know more in the morning on my situation... need bigger gear damnit lol

or more patience!;) you don't want to f around with those north umpqua winters with chinzy gear.. some biiiiig fish in that river-

T
the_intimidator03
LOL I saw a nice steelie in the ladder yesterday. Probably around 16 lb class along with a few smaller steels in the 6-10lb group.