3WT rod question/opinions

T
TimberTodd
I am considering purchasing a 3wt rod. Its primary use will be for panfish out of my Nucanoe. I am not sure whether to get a shorter rod between 7-8 ft or a longer one between 8-9 ft. The longer rod will be easier to cast from a seated position but I would also like to have the ability to use it on small streams with tighter casting conditions. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

M
MattZ
thinking you need a rod any shorter than 8ft is silly. you can accomplish anything with a 8ft rod that you can with a short rod. trust me here. if a stream is that tight, you are gonna be fishing from your knees and doing other stuff. any other streams and 8ft will be just fine. in fact, 8'6" would be my all rounder choice. I personally fish a 9ft 3wt in lakes and a 8ft 2wt or 0wt in streams

T
TimberTodd
Thanks Matt. I am leaning towards a TFO 8'6" but wanted some opinions first to ensure I am getting the best for both uses with one rod.

G
grampa ron
I used a 7ft 4wt the other day. It was very difficult to get decent cast, because of the short length. I suggest at least 8 ft.

S
Spydeyrch
I have a 7' 3wt that I LOVE to use on smaller streams. I can get some pretty good casts on it but have to false cast quite a bit to get those lengths. But most of the time I am casting 10 - 15 feet from the rod tip to where I want to land the fly. It works great on the smaller streams that I fish and I wouldn't trade it, except for maybe a higher quality 0wt, 1wt, or 2wt, hehehehe.

That being said, it is hard to nymph on due to the lack of length and I wouldn't want to cast it in the wind or on a still water. It really is suited for smaller streams. I would say go between 8' & 8'6" for what you are looking to do. :D

Or ........... go bamboo. :D :clap: :dance:

-Spydey

T
TimberTodd
Thanks guys. Im going to be looking at the 8'-8'6" rods at the Fly Expo next month.

M
MattZ
good idea. I'm gonna toss this out there, take it with a grain of salt.

I don't like TFO rods in light weights. I find the tracking on them to be super inconsistent. I have fished one that was a very good rod, and a bunch that were spaghetti. Where I used to live, this and Redington were the only budget brands around, so i had a lot of exposure to TFO. I have also found them to break a bit too easily for my liking. You may cast a gem though. but don;t get stuck on that TFO rod, give others a nice look. I'd certainly look at echo way before TFO. or buy a used sage. used sages are the best value as you still have a warranty so long as you don't talk too much. If you act as if you owned the rod your whole life they will honor the warranty. Scott too. Id find me a used scott or sage. best light rod makers out there. Great companies for customer service.

T
TimberTodd
Thanks for the information Matt I will definitly keep it in mind while shopping.