3 days with 2 guides

A
alm21
I had an opportunity to hire Ed Fast and Alan Goering for a three day trip with some guests of mine on the Nestucca River. It was a great experience to spend time with these guys and watch some people get into some great fishing. I've gathered photos and video from the trip that I will post to this thread but it's going to take me a bit. My Flip is giving me a hard time so I have some video I haven't been able to get off of it. As a teaser, here's a vid of the first fish on the first day in the first hole... (BTW, I'm a novice at making vids so take it for what it's worth).

NOTE: When we got to this hole, there was a boat anchored at the top of it. Ed asked if they were going to be there for a while and they said "yes". So Ed asked if we could fish under them and they said "yes". At 4:10 in the vid, you'll hear the guys above us change their mind. :D

A BIG THANK YOU TO ED AND ALAN FOR SHOWING MY GUESTS A GREAT TIME!!!!

***MORE TO COME***

Reactions: r_dawg1021
F
fishindude
Nice video. Thanks for sharing!!

O
OnTheDrop
Look at the joy on Ed's face for getting a client into fish... Priceless. Good job and tight lines

T
troutmasta
Wonderful video!

A
alm21
Day 1 Continued: This is out of sequence but here's a fresh sea lice-covered coho I picked up. Wish I had the fight on video but since I was the one with the camera, the trip consisted of me filming everone else. This fish went ape-sh*t making water ripping porpoise runs and death rolls. Here's a shot of the release.

A
alm21
DAY 1: Here's the vid of the hatchery chinook I picked up. Had to give the Ed fish bonking method a try.

***STILL MORE TO COME***

A
alm21
fishindude said:

Thanks!

SteelmonKiller20 said:
Look at the joy on Ed's face for getting a client into fish... Priceless. Good job and tight lines

Ed is passionate about fishing and being a guide (as so is Alan). He flat out works his a** off for his clients. It was so cook to see Ed and Alan working as a team. Experts in their own right yet have unique characteristics as anglers/guides.

troutmasta said:
Wonderful video!

Thanks!

troutdude
troutdude
Excellent videos, and epic smiles...especially when the other boat told Ed that they were in the wrong spot! LOL

P.S. Kudos to the peeps in that other boat--for sharing the hole!

A
alm21
fishindude said:

SteelmonKiller20 said:

troutdude said:
Excellent videos, and epic smiles...especially when the other boat told Ed that they were in the wrong spot! LOL

P.S. Kudos to the peeps in that other boat--for sharing the hole!

We wanted to start where they were at the top of the hole and back drift but obviously couldn't since they anchored up. Ed wanted to be courteous and ask for their ok. But don't feel bad for those guys. Soon after we moved down, they were into a fish.

A
alm21
DAY 1: It's a long vid but here's some footage of a drive-by missed fish but then a take down ~2min afterwards. It was the classic P-Bite (which is why you see Ed pulling up Scott's waders.) :eek:

A
alm21
DAY 1: Here are a couple pics to wrap up our first day. Alan rolled in for days 2 and 3 for a tag team session.

Ed's freshly painted DB.

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

NestuccaCoho10-24-12.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

A
alm21
DAY TWO: One of my guests canceled at the last minute for Thursday so I gave my brother a call to fill the seat. My brother recently caught his first ever salmon on the Mac. In the following vid, I had just let the plug out and set the rod in the holder. I was looking at the reel as I secured the rod and immediately saw the spool start to let line out. Looking up, I realized that a fish had hammered the plug. I grabbed the rod, felt some good head shakes and then handed it off to my brother for his second salmon ever caught.

S
steelhead_slayer
I'm glad to see you getting into some good fishing adventures.

F
Fish-N-Chips
Unreal. Love the beats and Tunnel Fishion is Brilliant!! That's what you get when you become addicted to steelhead/salmon fishing. Those were some chrome monsters you guys killed. Definitely hit it right. Well done

A
alm21
DAY 2: Alan puts on a clinic. I was in Ed's boat and it was a good day as we picked up the fish my bro has and later I got a small colored up hatchery nook that was released (no pics). Alan's boat started off with a mint coho and a searun that was big enough to look like a jack at first (no pics of either). Both of those were caught by Charlie who had never salmon fished before. As you'll see in this next vid, Chuck did alright. However, it was Len that tagged out and I don't seem to have all the footage/pics of him. Len also had a big one that straighten the hooks right before being netted and off it went. Day 2 was all about really long fish battles.

A
alm21
steelhead_slayer said:
I'm glad to see you getting into some good fishing adventures.

Thanks Wes. This year has been all about new experiences fishing. What a blast!

Fish-N-Chips said:
Unreal. Love the beats and Tunnel Fishion is Brilliant!! That's what you get when you become addicted to steelhead/salmon fishing. Those were some chrome monsters you guys killed. Definitely hit it right. Well done

Glad you like the vids. I'm new to making them so I'm trying some things out. Def giving me some ideas for future trips. We came into only one colored up fish over the course of the three days. Yeah, when it comes to fishing, I have complete tunnel vision!

C
CurtisP87
In the first vid, how come that fella punched that fish? Trying to get him to spit the hook? stunning it for a photo op? or just unloading some aggression? Either way it was funny to see a grown man punch a fish.
I know if I ever catch one I might punch it right in the face for all the hours and trouble his cousins have caused me....

O
osmosis
Thanks for posting the video's!!
That was a fun couple of days!

Curtis, immediately upon landing a salmon you plan to keep you must cease brain activity with a sharp blow to the head. You will see this by the eyes relaxing. At this point the salmon moves very little other than nerve twitches, and it's heart is still beating - you then cut the gills so that it pumps it's blood out giving you the highest quality fish possible.
Most boats carry a fish bat of some type, some guys punch them, all it takes is a pair of pliers in the right spot.

A
alm21
DAY THREE: Last but not least... Friday was definitely the busiest day on the river but that's no surprise. It was also the slowest day. I was in Alan's boat and we had 4-5 hit and run's but came up short for the day. I blame my buddy who came down Friday. He's been fishless for a few months now so I'm pretty sure he threw the bite off in our boat. :) Ed's boat managed to scratch one out and a fine one it was. Sounded like there was a fair morning bite but most the boats we talked to only had one fish for the day.

IMG_0566.jpg

I
idahojeff
Great videos and pics! Thanks for sharing! I appreciate it!