1st steelhead

S
SandyChrome
Finally on about my 25th trip i caught my first ever steelhead! I was fishing on the sandy and looked away talking to my buddy, turned backed around to notice BOBBER DOWN! Set the hook and fish on. I dont post here often but I sure do appreciate the people on here willing to give tips for new guys like myself. Now......time to hook a salmon (fingers crossed)

B
Big3d
Congrats! Major milestone dealt with.

T
Toyracer38
Gratz on your first!

E
eugene1
SandyChrome, that's awesome! Any pics to share?

Keep at it,

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
nice job, working hard for something always makes it that much sweeter...

S
SandyChrome
Figured out how post pic

Figured out how post pic

Thx! I tried to load a pic but it would not load

• image.jpg
Last edited:
Reactions: eugene1
E
eugene1
Check your PM's.

Best,

SandyChrome said:
Thx! I tried to load a pic but it would not load

M
mikeee2362
Way2Go SC!! Yoyu won't forget that one anytime soon. I bet you watch your bobber more closely from now on :thumb:.

C
ChezJfrey
mikeee2362 said:
I bet you watch your bobber more closely from now on :thumb:.

Actually, I think he just found the secret to getting a bite while bobber fishing steelhead...don't watch it ;)

Nice work SandyChrome and congrats on the first!

B
BamaDan
ChezJfrey said:
Actually, I think he just found the secret to getting a bite while bobber fishing steelhead...don't watch it ;)

Haha. Yep. And you've got to REALLY take your eye off it. They know when you're trying to pull a fast one.

T
troutmasta
ChezJfrey said:

True Story,

Nice fish partner!

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Congrats!!!!!!!

R
ryank
Nice to meet you yesterday! You'll hook a salmon no problem. Just keep fishing the water you were yesterday and you'll get em.

S
SandyChrome
Thx! Nice to meet you as well. I hope to hook into a salmon sooner than my first steelhead. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thx again and i will see ya on the river! Cheers!

R
ryank
SandyChrome said:
Thx! Nice to meet you as well. I hope to hook into a salmon sooner than my first steelhead. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thx again and i will see ya on the river! Cheers!
I usually carry up to four different cures. This is VERY important in my opinion. Sometimes they just want something different. If you don't have a few different cures of eggs bring sand shrimp as your "change up" bait. I use oil scents a lot as well. If you get to a hole you know has fish fish your plain bait through if you get a few bites then it dies off put a few drops of an oil scent on a bait then try it again. Many times that has worked for me. Also, play around with the size of your bait. Some days they like bigger baits (golf ball size) sometimes small is the ticket (quarter sized or smaller) also, try no bait. Sometimes a plain steelhead jig with nothing on it is what they want, just make damn sure they have good hooks and you don't horse a springer on a steelhead jig or you'll bend the hook. I never leave a hole without putting a spoon or spinner through it. It sounds very complicated, but really it's not. They're finicky fish that change what they want from hour to hour so you just have to be able to present several options to improve your chances. Do not ignore steelhead type water with good flow and chop, springers definitely hold in that water and they usually bite well in the faster water. Drift fishing a coon shrimp and a corky has worked very well too. I like the coon shrimp from BC angling post in Gladstone. I hope that helps!

Z
zinfan94
Ok. Couple of things to report about the Sandy. First, I launched my driftboat (with electric trolling motor) at Dabney Park. The road along the river back up to Stark bridge is closed due to major rockslide just downstream of the bridge.

Second, it was free fishing day, so admission to the park was free. But unfortunately, thieves broke out back window in my Jeep Liberty, and took my companions' wallet left on the back seat, so not free. These guys knew what they were doing... they set off alarm, but opened the doors, popped the hood and disconnected the battery. After getting the wallet, they somehow hacked the PIN for the ATM debit card, and went on a shopping spree three hours later after first testing PIN. We were the only boat trailer in the parking area when I launched, and only a second trailer there when I got back in the afternoon.

Third, during the float, spooked a lot of summer steelhead in front of the boat in some of the riffles with shallow water, one in particular. The fish were in really shallow water, less than three feet, with most of the river less than two feet. On one riffle, over twenty fish went left/right around boat in only 30-40 yards. I pulled the boat over, and walked back up and waded the river to drift fish with corkies/yarn all different colors, and use spinners and spoons... no luck. They may have been feeding on something in particular. Next time, I take my fly rod.

We didn't see any sign of springers in the lower river during this float. Water level is very low and clear. Less algae/weed than three weeks ago.

T
troutmasta
WOW. I'm assuming the police are involved?

Bummer on the chrome.

Z
zinfan94
Thieves did everything right to avoid detection.

Thieves did everything right to avoid detection.

troutmasta said:
WOW. I'm assuming the police are involved?

Bummer on the chrome.

Yes. Multnomah County Dep. Sheriff David Jackson drove by, I flagged him down, and filed an incident report.
I think they targeted my Jeep because the back door has a small partial window, so they smacked all the glass out of the pane into the jeep to make it less obvious. They closed all the doors and let the hood drop, and you couldn't tell the jeep had been broken into. Several park employees picking up trash, and the park ranger, and other people walked by and didn't notice.

E
eugene1
Sorry to hear about the break in to your Jeep. I wouldn't recommend leaving a wallet in the vehicle anywhere.

About the summer runs in low water, they like that area for whatever reason. We've had good luck triggering a strike by back trolling plugs or diver and bait in those conditions. Once they see your boat they wise up and scatter like you saw. If you have some MOAL leeches for your fly rods they work well back trolled too. You can motor back up and try it again as they seem to head back to their holding water once you are through.

Best,

zinfan94 said:
Ok. Couple of things to report about the Sandy. First, I launched my driftboat (with electric trolling motor) at Dabney Park. The road along the river back up to Stark bridge is closed due to major rockslide just downstream of the bridge.

Second, it was free fishing day, so admission to the park was free. But unfortunately, thieves broke out back window in my Jeep Liberty, and took my companions' wallet left on the back seat, so not free. These guys knew what they were doing... they set off alarm, but opened the doors, popped the hood and disconnected the battery. After getting the wallet, they somehow hacked the PIN for the ATM debit card, and went on a shopping spree three hours later after first testing PIN. We were the only boat trailer in the parking area when I launched, and only a second trailer there when I got back in the afternoon.

Third, during the float, spooked a lot of summer steelhead in front of the boat in some of the riffles with shallow water, one in particular. The fish were in really shallow water, less than three feet, with most of the river less than two feet. On one riffle, over twenty fish went left/right around boat in only 30-40 yards. I pulled the boat over, and walked back up and waded the river to drift fish with corkies/yarn all different colors, and use spinners and spoons... no luck. They may have been feeding on something in particular. Next time, I take my fly rod.

We didn't see any sign of springers in the lower river during this float. Water level is very low and clear. Less algae/weed than three weeks ago.

S
SandyChrome
image.jpg2 and 3rd in the same day. Done by 530 am , great way to start the morning!

Last edited: