Fly line recommendations?

S
Steeliekiller
Going to pick up some wf float 8wt its kind of spendy. Would hate to get the wrong kind, or something that may not work as well.

T
TimberTodd
Per a recommendation by Halibuthitman, I am using the Royal Wulff Ambush line and am really liking it.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Hi Slk! By the nature of your request you must be new to the fly game, correct me if I am wrong. Said WF-8-F. Not wanting to be wrong sounds like frugal person. So here goes, for a standard fly rod some good used fly lines can be found on e-bay for little $$s.($20.00 or less)or talk to a pro shop to get the best value for your affordablity. Let OFF know what you find so others can learn. GL Tony

R
_RJ_
I have Airflo Ridge Delta WF8F line you could try out if you're interested. The Wulff ambush line is also becoming very popular. Pm me if your want to work something out

S
Steeliekiller
Thanks all, RJ much appricated. I've been fly fishing for trout for almost 2years and just getting into it for steel. I was thinking about running the orvis 8wt steelhead line as recomended by the manager there at the tigard location, real knowledgeable guy. I also don't know of any other fly shops in the area to check out. Any good or bad about orvis? Also have been running through the forum threads in fly fishing. They have been a lot of help. Thanks guys and I'll let you know on what I decide.

T
TimberTodd
Talk to Don at RiverCity Fly shop in Beaverton if you are in the area.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
TimberTodd said:
Talk to Don at RiverCity Fly shop in Beaverton if you are in the area.

2nd River City. Don is a great guy and will work with you if you're on a budget. IIRC, He's got some lines that run for $40 NIB. You might even be able to buy a used line from him. If you are super cash strapped - the short Scientific Angler's Air Cel lines Bi Mart sells (I think they have a 7/8 version) that run $20 or so will work. Avoid the Cortland Fairplay lines like the plague. IF you can spend more on a line - get a better line. Cortland 333+ or 444+ are good. Cabela's also has decent lines -they're made by Scientific Anglers. They're based, if I remember right, on the original Mastery series tapers. You can get a Prestige line for $20 right now for a WF taper. These are decent lines. Their Prestige Premier lines run about $40 on sale, and they're on sale very often.

S
Steeliekiller
I ended up getting the Orvis Hydros wf9wtf salmon/steelhead. Hitting something costal tomorrow, will give a report on the line, as well as, the fishing. Thanks again for all the info. I'll definitely check out river city.

R
_RJ_
If you hit the wilson, I'll see you there. Good luck

T
TimberTodd
Looking forward to your report on the line and fishing. Best of luck.

S
Steeliekiller
Hit the nestucca, lots of drift trailors at all the pull outs. No fish for me but on the other hand I totally recommend orvis hydros. It totally kicks butt. RJ how'd wilson fish?

T
TimberTodd
Glad your are happy with the line. What methods did you fish (swing, nymph with indicator, bead)?

W
waco
Glad you didn't give any bussines to River City!! No customer service skills!!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
waco said:
Glad you didn't give any bussines to River City!! No customer service skills!!

???????????? I've been to River City probably fifty times since they've been in business and never had a bad experience. I bought a Rod from Don a couple years ago - took it home and was practice casting and discovered it had a loose ferrule. Took it back and he swapped it straight across for a different rod, no questions asked. The only "problem" I have at River City - I can kill an hour without meaning too by chatting with Don or the other guys there, and I always find *something* I didn't know I needed but couldn't walk out of the store without.

R
_RJ_
Saturday, I caught a 28" hatchery hen. Sunday, absolutely nothing. I was swinging a pink rambulance tube fly.

C
ChezJfrey
TimberTodd said:
Per a recommendation by Halibuthitman, I am using the Royal Wulff Ambush line and am really liking it.

I bought one from HHM awhile back, and love that line!

S
Steeliekiller
I tried the bead with indicator which was my first time. It would be nice to fish with someone who's done it before. I'm a noob when it comes to steel on the fly. I also swung through the same drift after my first pass with the bead.

P
Paul Smith
Heading over to the Trask on Saturday, typically will fish an egg pattern under an indicator for winters, but thinking of just spending the day swinging (have yet to hook a winter swinging). Not an expert by any means but have hooked a few up there, I expect it'll be good Saturday. Text or call me if your interested 541 981-8795.

R
_RJ_
I wanted to fish the clack this weekend. I almost forgot it was my anniversary. So the spousal unit and I will be fishing the Wilson. If you see a gray dodge, that be us ?

S
Steeliekiller
That's awesome guys, good luck out there. If I make it to that area I'll definitely stop in and check it out. Fish on!!!