2013 fishing regulations changes Davis Lake, Deschutes county

O
oneadam
So I was killing a little time at work looking around the ODFW website and noticed the title "2013 Fishing Regulations NEW Public Process" so it got my attention. After reading it over a few times it says (my summary only) that the ODFW is in the process of making the 2013 fishing regulation and are taking our proposals for changes to the regulations and will decide if they are valid depending on a whole bunch of circumstances. So that got me thinking, first off don’t take me the wrong way I love to fly fish I have fly fished my whole life I didn’t even own a casting/spinning rod until I was 35 all we did was fly fish. My buddy and I started fishing Davis about 4 years ago and have a blast catching them hogs on a 6wt and 15 lb. test it is great fun and requires lots of skill. I know that the lake was to be a trophy trout fishery and since the illegal introduction of largemouth bass lots of people have been upset and tried to figure out what to do about them. I am an avid fisherman and have been lucky enough to catch and release several of the trophy size lake trout from Davis lake. But why can’t we have a great Largemouth bass lake in Central Oregon?? And why should it be fly only?? What if we could use lures? And artificial flies?
So I wrote up a letter and emailed it off to one of the Eastern Oregon Warm water fish Biologists, he replied and called me with some very interesting questions and answers. I asked him if he thought we could get Davis Lake changed to artificial flies and lures with barbless hooks. His answer was “You might, but you will get a lot of resistance from the fly fishing community” What about the rest of the fishing population who love to fish and respect the outdoors what are our opinions and votes worth?
He sent me a regulation proposal form, it has lots of questions like,
Is the proposal consistent with ODFW Fish Management and Conservation Policies and rules?
Is the proposal consistent with federal fish management plans and mandates?
Is the proposal consistent with statutory mandates and within ODFW’s rule-making authority?
Is the proposal supported by affected citizens and addresses an established social need?

So my question is to you guys who love to fish for largemouth bass what do you think? Should we try to get Davis Lake changed so we can use lures?

Thank You for your time and please reply or pm I what to know what you guys think.
Adam Brown
<º)))«<

K
Kevinb5688
I think they should allow bass fisherman to use their gear, like spinnerbaits, jigs, crankbaits, etc...
And it should be required to remove every bass you catch. I heard they consider that "rewarding" the people who put them in there, but if you want them out of there what other choice do you have.
In flordia someone released a type of snakehead from japan in one of there lakes, they require all fish all kept or punishable by fine. It is working for them and in a couple years numbers have droped by 60%.
It is imposible to catch every bass out of davis but keeping the thousands that would be caught on bass gear would give the trout a fighting chane to thrive again.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum family, glad to have you aboard. We have quite a few bass fisher folk here, even a State Champion, Colby Pearson. I'm sure you will get lots of input from the bass community.

F
Fish a holic
I think your spot on and should add Crane and Wickiup to the list both had bass illeagally introduced as I understand

H
halibuthitman
I personaly am against fly-only sections of water, I prefer "restricted gear" water, single barbless no bait... I don't care what a person wants to use- as for lakes, do with them as you wish, there are hundreds of lakes.. do something cool to them, I think it would be nice to see a few fresh water bonefish lakes for guys like John Montana and Drew and Onthefly-

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
Randy,

Simply......... Well said :) :)

V
veilside180sx
I have news for you...whether you like it or not...your in a bass state.

B
bigsteel
veilside180sx said:
I have news for you...whether you like it or not...your in a bass state.

doesn't matter,ODFW should not be rewarding people for illegally introducing bass into the lake in the first place.whats to stop people from doing this to every lake in oregon?

V
veilside180sx
bigsteel said:
doesn't matter,ODFW should not be rewarding people for illegally introducing bass into the lake in the first place.whats to stop people from doing this to every lake in oregon?

I absolutely agree with that, and am against the "bucket" biologist. Having an overall hatred of bass though...is just silly.

V
veilside180sx
Sinkline said:
Really..., so that's why a recent ODFW survey showed nearly 80% (70 something %) of folks said they prefer to fish trout over any other species, because Oregon is a "bass state"???

Randy

Last I checked...you have ODFW to blame for introducing bass here in the first place, with Crane, Davis, etc the exceptions.

STS fisherman are always more vocal as well, so I wouldn't put much stock in the "recent" survey.

FWIW I do all of it, but don't "hold" to one side or the other. Salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, trout, bass, bluegill, crappie, tuna, halibut, ocean bottom fish, etc. I don't see an advantage of rail roading one species for the benefit of the other.

Last edited:
K
Kevinb5688
Oregon is most deff. Not a bass state. Ask 1,000 fisherman over east what comes to mind about oregon fishing and STS will be 99% of the answer.
I doubt odfw will do anything about davis, and crane prarie makes more money hosting bass tourneys than they do off of trout fisherman.
I think if nothing else they should make it illegal to release bass caught out of davis. I like bass fishing but there are enough places to catch bass and not many to catch quality trout.
No matter what they do it was a good idea to bring this topic up so maby someone with the power to change the regs. Will read this and have an idea of what the public wants to see happen.

Reactions: eggs
N
nwmike
davis is what it is now.make the best of it and leave the bass.i dont think its in the best intrest of the lake to poison it and kill every thing in the water.let us gear guys in davis and share in the fun.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Kevinb5688 said:
Oregon is most deff. Not a bass state. Ask 1,000 fisherman over east what comes to mind about oregon fishing and STS will be 99% of the answer.
I doubt odfw will do anything about davis, and crane prarie makes more money hosting bass tourneys than they do off of trout fisherman.
I think if nothing else they should make it illegal to release bass caught out of davis. I like bass fishing but there are enough places to catch bass and not many to catch quality trout.
No matter what they do it was a good idea to bring this topic up so maby someone with the power to change the regs. Will read this and have an idea of what the public wants to see happen.
:clap:

C
c_chickens
so what all of you trout people r saying is the state is wasting millions of ****ing dollars stocking all of your pretty little lakes and ponds and rivers......... you trout people r a joke... oregon is the best smallmouth states and dam good large mouth fishing.... just think about all the money the state and local people could make on holding a big tourny....... btw people love to fish for those snakeheads.. looks like a blast.

J
JeannaJigs
c_chickens said:
so what all of you trout people r saying is the state is wasting millions of ****ing dollars stocking all of your pretty little lakes and ponds and rivers......... you trout people r a joke... oregon is the best smallmouth states and dam good large mouth fishing.... just think about all the money the state and local people could make on holding a big tourny....... btw people love to fish for those snakeheads.. looks like a blast.

And the ignorance award goes to...

I hope they follow through with the rotenone, but if not, catch and kill the invasive bass. They are not native!!!

Reactions: FishNinja
brandon4455
brandon4455
X2 jeanna. those bucket biologists should not be rewarded with getting to keep this "fishery" that is destructive to native fish. bass have a place, but not in lakes that contain native fish..

c_chickens, very ignorant post on your part, think before you talk man..bass are cool fish, but there are some places they dont belong. move to florida or cali bro you obviously dont belong here.

C
c_chickens
wow! look and tell me if a stocked rainbow trout is native.. ....brown trout ..... brook trout... and now tiger trout .... we stock plenty of lakes with dumb 8inch trout.. last time i checked a red-side bull- and cut throat r.... what we need 2 do is stop trying 2 kill fish and put better effort in fighting the people that poach your trout fisherys... people that take more then they should... thats whats killing your trout not bass!!!!! agree 2 disagree.. its a bad move by the state

K
Kevinb5688
Fishing for pellet heads in a stocked pond is one thing i think is pointless ( unless u bring kids). Dump all the bass in there u want.
But when ur talking about quality lakes with native fish, or lakes that have any sort of trout that breed, there is no need for someone to ruin it with dumping bass into it. I bass fish and i can think of 100 places in 50 miles to catch 5 lb bass.
I can only think of a handful of places to catch quality trout within that range. This one goes to the " true trout fisherman "

Reactions: JeannaJigs
brandon4455
brandon4455
i dont think those Pig trout in cpr and davis are 8 inch stockers.. just sayin :lol: