Spring chinook

D
Dizle
I am new to spring chinook fishing, is it similar to fall chinook?
do you use the same presentation?
any links to good info would be helpful,
I recently bought a driftboat and I'm looking to learn and hopefully catch some coastal springers and south Santiam springers
any knowledge would be appreciated.thank you

C
chad wiest
Similar methods will catch Springers. It is more of a back bouncing and plug/ spinner show than anything else. Bobber and eggs can get it done too. Good luck!

D
Dizle
When do the spring chinook start up on the coastal rivers?

C_Run
C_Run
Only certain rivers on the coast have them, the big ones. Better review the regulations to know where you can fish. There have been fish caught already like on the Rogue, Umpqua, etc.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
some of what I have learned about 'springers'...most of the coastal rivers are not long enough and/or do not have consistent summer water flows and deep pools for true spring chinook to hold in...most coastal rivers are not open for chinook fishing until either May 23 or Aug 1.

ODFW is doing several things to improve spring chinook fishing on the coast, from new CMP (Coastal Multi-Species Conservation and Management Plan):

"Chinook populations in this SMU (Columbia river south to Elk river) include early (returning in the spring or summer) and late (returning in the fall) adult components. In those Coastal basins that do not extend into the Cascades, early and late returning Chinook are considered in this plan to be one population, given that: a) there are fewer isolating mechanisms between the two life history components; b) these basins are not naturally conducive to independent spring or summer Chinook populations (as evidenced by both the lack of snow-fed summer water and the limited presence and scope of early Chinook runs); and c) existing data do not strongly support a bi-modal distribution in returns. This determination is subject to change with new genetic or spatial and temporal distribution information (e.g., the Nehalem summer run is potentially an independent and isolated population). Early component fish in several populations provide diversity and some fishing opportunities that are important to protect and enhance where possible. In order to distinguish different run timing in Chinook populations, early components are referred to as spring-run or summer-run Chinook (depending on the location). The more abundant late component is referred to as fall-run Chinook. Independent populations of spring returning Chinook are called spring Chinook (as opposed to spring-run Chinook)."

'Springer' Hatchery plantings going forward under CMP:
Trask-400K, Nestucca- 200K, L.Nestucca-30K (new fishery), Yaquina-100K (new run), N.Umpqua-342K, CoosBayFrontal-100K(new run)

Hatchery Spring Chinook Actions
• L Nestucca ChS - look into tidewater fishery (develop acclimation site) and stock 30k if feasible (new production)
• Yaquina and Coos ChS - program size based on number of fish needed to evaluate the new programs’ fishery contribution and impacts to wild populations; contribution and impacts will be reviewed in 5 years, which may lead to program increases or decreases
• New Yaquina ChS program will be monitored well enough to determine effects to nearby wild ChS life-history variants (Siletz and Alsea) and include surveys that look for carcasses (as opposed to float surveys that count live fish) to determine the stray rate of hatchery fish into the wild spawning areas
• N Umpqua ChS - remove hatchery fish at Rock Creek Hatchery Dam trap20; account for hatchery fish that pass above Winchester Dam

A
autofisher
All salmon fishing is similar in the fact that most anglers will hit water with the hopes of landing a monster, but most will have more success getting the middle finger from our fine finned friends.
All joking aside, if you're hitting up the Santiam, you can usually start seeing fish pretty soon. If you're just itching to get out on the water, I would hit up the main stem (Jefferson to I-5 or Buena Vista ferry) and try any barrage of tactics. I like side drifting eggs and have seen some success with sand shrimp and coonies. As long as you have a decent presentation you'll have a decent shot. Most of all, sit back, pay attention to the sticks and have fun.

J
JeannaJigs
autofisher said:
All salmon fishing is similar in the fact that most anglers will hit water with the hopes of landing a monster, but most will have more success getting the middle finger from our fine finned friends.
All joking aside, if you're hitting up the Santiam, you can usually start seeing fish pretty soon. If you're just itching to get out on the water, I would hit up the main stem (Jefferson to I-5 or Buena Vista ferry) and try any barrage of tactics. I like side drifting eggs and have seen some success with sand shrimp and coonies. As long as you have a decent presentation you'll have a decent shot. Most of all, sit back, pay attention to the sticks and have fun.
We need to do that float again haha oh man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

C_Run
C_Run
autofisher said:

In fact, I've been scoping this area this past week and there is already a smattering of angler effort going on now. The numbers over the dam have increased quite a bit this past week.