Underhanded bastages

P
pinstriper
Thanks to my so-called friends, who have decided it would be amusing to take advantage of my OCD personality and have been hounding - HOUNDING I SAY - me to take up fly fishing, I have acquired a fly fishing package and even gone fly fishing once already. 2 hours on the water, total investment so far is $425, but it's only been a week, and that includes today's gasoline, plus the single day fishing license I had to buy because I left the house without mine.

Oh, and no fish seen, much less caught, because of the wonderful precious children playing "let's throw rocks as far as we can in the water" do the very fishy-looking riffle on the upper Wilson. Of course if I threw rocks back at them, I'd be the bad guy, right ? Sheesh.

K
Kage
Pretty lame, sorry to hear about the bad trip. I HATE when people show up to the spot I'm fishing and let their kids yell and scream, run in and out of the water and throw rocks. Or throw a tennis ball into the water so their dog can go swimming in to fetch it. In any case they either ignore the fact that I'm standing there fishing or offer barely an apology or stop their kids or stop tossing tennis balls in the water. That's why I prefer fishing on the weekday mornings where there are far less families out.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
LOL Mark! I knew from your title it would be an entertaining story.

I've been there! Kids at Camp Collins chucking rocks.

PM sent.

EOBOY
EOBOY
pinstriper said:
Thanks to my so-called friends, who have decided it would be amusing to take advantage of my OCD personality and have been hounding - HOUNDING I SAY - me to take up fly fishing, I have acquired a fly fishing package and even gone fly fishing once already. 2 hours on the water, total investment so far is $425.

That drunk internet shopping doesn't help!:yikes:

hobster
hobster
EOBOY said:
That drunk internet shopping doesn't help!:yikes:

:lol: gotta get there early. Some of my favorite spots on the Mac are done after the drones of people come to swim and play on hot days. The way I look at it they have as much right as me to be there. Keep at it, fly fishing is addictive and so fun! Sounds like you are pretty geared up for it :thumb:

jamisonace
jamisonace
Just don't calculate the cost of flies breaking off in the grass and trees behind you. That gets depressing fast.

hobster
hobster
:lol: or the flies that snap off when pulling out of your back cast too early. Lost many that way when learning. SNAP!!

EOBOY
EOBOY
Hob he stood behind me I told him not to do that??

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

P
pinstriper
EOBOY said:
Hob he stood behind me I told him not to do that[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You were talking to me at the time. You knew I was there and you hooked my scalp anyway !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamisonace
jamisonace
Sounds like you two had a great time together. LOL

pinstriper said:
You were talking to me at the time. You knew I was there and you hooked my scalp anyway !

P
pinstriper
jamisonace said:
Sounds like you two had a great time together. LOL

Indeed. It isn't every day you get to have stitches and lose a patch of hair. Once the blood dries everything gets funnier for everyone involved !

hobster
hobster
:lol: :thumb:

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Now that the Wilson is ruined for you - try the Nehalem or Kilchis :)

Wait until those underhanded bastages talk you into learning underhanded casting, which requires a two handed fly rod, which in turn adds another layer to the addiction and seeming mental illness that fly fishing becomes. Don't get me started on how easy it is to get sucked into tying your own flies. Hint - it's NOT cheaper to tie your own despite what the magazines/books/salesmen say ;) But it is fun.

Oh - and want to add yet another twist - get a Tenkara rod. Fixed line fishing is quite interesting. Fun too.

In a year or three, if you survive the initiation, you'll have a pile of fly rods, a mountain of lines/reels/spools, a swarm of flies and fly boxes, and a drawer full of "useful" gizmos that you can't remember what they do, but looked cool when you bought 'em. :lol:

Welcome to the dark, yet fluffy, side of fishing.

B
BaldTexan
Amusing thread. Imagining you guys flailing away and ducking, or NOT ducking, each others casts and reminds me of Grumpy Old Men! Haha!

As a newb to bug slapping, I got my feet wet a little last season with a few catches of coho and summer steel on my cheapy Okuma setup, but so far I've not been sucked in. I think it helps a lot to go look at the $700 + bug chucker sticks and high end reels. I just roll my eyes. LOL. Suckers! So far, I've managed to look at it as another tool or option to take along that might be the better producer that day. Having said that, I'm dusting off the 5/6 wt. for this weekends trip to Crane Prairie....which means I will invariably go buy at least a dozen new flies and most likely 2 of each in case the best producer gets broken OFF, leaders, strike indicators, etc......sigh. Here we go :)

P
pinstriper
BaldTexan said:
Amusing thread. Imagining you guys flailing away and ducking, or NOT ducking, each others casts and reminds me of Grumpy Old Men! Haha!

As a newb to bug slapping, I got my feet wet a little last season with a few catches of coho and summer steel on my cheapy Okuma setup, but so far I've not been sucked in. I think it helps a lot to go look at the $700 + bug chucker sticks and high end reels. I just roll my eyes. LOL. Suckers! So far, I've managed to look at it as another tool or option to take along that might be the better producer that day. Having said that, I'm dusting off the 5/6 wt. for this weekends trip to Crane Prairie....which means I will invariably go buy at least a dozen new flies and most likely 2 of each in case the best producer gets broken OFF, leaders, strike indicators, etc......sigh. Here we go :)

My setup is just your basic combo from A'zon, but I have no fricken idear what flies to use or not. Most of my investment is sunk into the second pair of Korkers I bought. I have waders with neoprene socks, and a pair of Korkers sized appropriately, but this time, and in the summer, I'll be wearing dry pants that only have goretex socks, and even with wool socks underneath, they are way too large. I wanted something to wear with the dry pants or even with just a pair of thinner neoprene/waterproof socks in the summer.

Plus the handful of flies I bought, the rubber net, the little nipper tool that has all the extra features I'll never learn to use, and the books. I'm already scoping out a 7/8 weight rod for the possibility of steelheading. It will NOT be a $700 rod!

B
BaldTexan
7/8?! So fisher people will use 4 lb. line to catch 10 lb. steelhead. Why not use too small of a rod too! Haha. The 5/6 wt I used last summer handled summer steelhead....barely!, but I will most likely purchase a 7/8 for steelies and coho. Ah heck. I'll probably get a 9/10. Might hook a chinooky! I prefer to be over-geared just in case!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
The $700 rod gets you more attention from attractive fisher-persons-of-your-preferred-gender though. And when you catch a 6" stocker on it the fish instantly grows 12 inches and performs spinjitsu aerial somersaults. ?

B
BaldTexan
Not necessary. I have a pretty car for that! [emoji12]

S
Stonefish
pinstriper said:
My setup is just your basic combo from A'zon, but I have no fricken idear what flies to use or not. Most of my investment is sunk into the second pair of Korkers I bought. I have waders with neoprene socks, and a pair of Korkers sized appropriately, but this time, and in the summer, I'll be wearing dry pants that only have goretex socks, and even with wool socks underneath, they are way too large. I wanted something to wear with the dry pants or even with just a pair of thinner neoprene/waterproof socks in the summer.

Plus the handful of flies I bought, the rubber net, the little nipper tool that has all the extra features I'll never learn to use, and the books. I'm already scoping out a 7/8 weight rod for the possibility of steelheading. It will NOT be a $700 rod!

You can get some pretty sweet deal on very nice rods by buying used or close out models.
Sage One models are going on sale right now because a new model is being introduced.

Welcome to the addiction....I've been where you are going. That is how come I own six 6 wts ;)

We've never had it so good as far as the variety and quality of fly gear that is available now.
There is something to meet everyone's needs.
SF

B
BaldTexan
Six 6 wts?! Dude! You have an addiction! [emoji38]...I'm not gonna discuss why I have 4 salmon rods, 3 steelhead, 3 trout, and 3 sturgeon....but at least I only have 1 fly rod, for now. Sigh...maybe I should go back to golfing and racing motorcycles. I swear it was cheaper!