Zero weight reel

T
TroutGuy
I have two Sage 0 wt rods and need some advice on reels and backing.
What reel should i use and what backing/fly line should i use...I have never seen a zero weight reel, but have a few 2/3 weights...what is the balanced reel for my 0 wts?

Casting Call
Casting Call
As in rod wts. same as reels. A 1wt varies from 0 to 2. Look at the Lamson series. Best cone brakes ever developed 3 times the braking surface of ALL fly reels. Works very well when throwing streamers. Tony

Casting Call
Casting Call
I paired a Sage ONE 1wt. with a Lamson ll reel. it's the bomb set-up at $$$.$$

Casting Call
Casting Call
U-tube "waterworks and Lamson fly reels" Tony

SciFly
SciFly
@TroutGuy, If you bought zero weight rods, you probably got them (mostly) for dry flies on small waters, am I right? If you really want the best feel possible (FOR YOU) then go to a local fly shop and have them rig a zero, one, and two weight line so you can feel the performance. Everyone will have their own opinions (and I have plenty), but none will substitute the feel of YOUR rod in YOUR hands.

There are three general approaches to fitting a line to a rod: 1) even Steven...same weight rating for both line and rod. 2) under weight (#5 line on #6 rod). Theory is that the rod will produce greater line speeds with the smaller line, producing longer casts. 3) over weight (#7 line on #6 rod). Theory is the heavier line punches through the wind more efficiently and the momentum of the extra mass will also produce longer casts. As for the reel itself, the difference between a zero weight and a two weight reel is almost negligible. In reel life:sneaky: it will only have any real impact on paper (IMHO). As for backing, add just enough so that when you are hurriedly picking up slack line in an attempt to get a running fish off your fingers and onto the reel, the inevitable "pyramid" of line that forms a peak on the spool is not so tall that it starts rubbing on the outer cross member of the reel body and creating additional friction that may break a light tippet. Reels typically come with a predetermined suggestion for backing length (based on pound test) that will not overload the spool.

In reality, you won't be chucking 70 footers with a zero weight rod...more like 17 footers on small(er) creeks, and in that scenario you will (presumably) prefer a more delicate presentation over distance. I have fished a sh**ton in very heavy wind. I have worn a few hooks deep in an arm that was thrown up in self defense. I am personally a version #3 guy because of the wind factor, but that is ME. Go cast some line options and see for yourself. I would suggest using the #2 reel you already have, then load the line that felt best on that rod. I actually prefer a slightly heavier reel for dry fly fishing as it works as the counterbalance to rod+line+fly while make false casts to dry the fly before re-dropping. The static balance of the reel+rod in your hands does not take into account the additional weight of the line+fly leveraged at the end of the rod WHILE CASTING. Yet again, my opinion. If you have ever spent a day throwing an 8 weight rod with a heavy sinking line and large streamers, then I would bet BIG money that someone could sand the #2 off a reel, replace it with a #0, have you cast it all day long and you would never know the difference because the entire rig is already that much lighter to begin with.
Casting Call said:
U-tube "waterworks and Lamson fly reels" Tony
On a side note...I LOVE Lamson reels because of their drag system (have several of them). Best in the biz (again, IMHO, and apparently @Casting Call as well). Cabela's WRX series reels are also made by Lamson and use the same conical drag system. LOVE the WRX (WRZ now???) and have several of them.

Hope this helps you out. Best of luck and go rip some lip!

Reactions: Aervax, SparkyofSoCal and Admin