Your first reel?

troutdude

What was the very first fishing reel that you used? Was it a spinning reel, fly reel, level wind, or bait caster?

Mine was a D.A.M. Quick spinning reel. It was either a model 220 or 330. It was heavy compared to today's composite reels--but was built tough and made to last. Unfortunately, it now lies in the bottom of Blue Lake (next to Suttle lake), along with my first rod (and a pair of glasses). But, that's a story for a different thread! ;)

Eventually I owned many other Quick models, including their High Speed retrieve spinners. I also once had a really cool "automatic bail release" Mitchell reel too. Those were the days. :cool:

My paternal grand pappy gave me that first set up. And I am eternally grateful to him (and my dad), for getting me hooked on our favorite past time.

So, I'd like to read about your first reel(s) too.

The first reel I remember was a zebco spincast that was put on a fiberglass "noodle" rod. Kinda like shane's snoopy pole but before their time.

Irishrover

Most Featured
The first reel I was given as a young kid was some sort of small black bait cast thing that I could never cast. It came in a kit my Dad picked up in Japan right after the war. The first reel I bought as a kid was a zebco knock off on a fiber glass rod from Western Auto. Used it for years until at 18 I got my hands on a mitchell 300. Still have the mitchell. I could most likely not use a D.A.M. Quike reel I'm kind of slow.

Hawk

Zebco type closed face reel was the first one. :lol::lol: Then later i had some weird brand spinning reel open face. Then i got a Mitchell 300 spinning reel at Longs Drugstore for about $9. I still have it & it works good still. :lol::lol::lol::cool:

:clap::clap:

Growbug

first rod and reel that i actually bought for myself were a Daiwa spinning reel and Shakespeare 13ft float road with screw in 'ledger' swing tip. Back in good old UK around 1976... I actually remember the day, I also bought a tub of maggot and caster mix, 3lb line for the reel and some Mustad size 12 hooks.

Drew9870

Banned User
first rod and reel that i actually bought for myself were a Daiwa spinning reel and Shakespeare 13ft float road with screw in 'ledger' swing tip. Back in good old UK around 1976... I actually remember the day, I also bought a tub of maggot and caster mix, 3lb line for the reel and some Mustad size 12 hooks.

Were you fishing Bream, Rudd, and Roach? Maybe even Tench?

I want to fish in the U.K. sometime, you must know a bit about how people setup for Carp.

My first one looked something like this.....

DSCF0435-thumb-640xauto-94906.jpg

I remember dad use to unreel a bunch of line and then swing it around his head lasso style:rolleyes: and throw it out with a bobber and worm. I was only five or six and back in the mid fifties it was all he could afford, especially after the game ward took all his other gear for fishing out of season.:lol: We had just moved from Nebraska to Washington and were fishing on private property with permission. The Warden didn't seem to care but the judge was friends of my uncle (also a judge) so dad eventually got his stuff back.

nwkiller

defenetly a zebco, the blue and white one....push button for sure, i remember using my first spinning reel when i was a kid, i was like " why would they make it this tricky, and not keep the easy push of a button....lol things were so much simpler then.......

Growbug

Were you fishing Bream, Rudd, and Roach? Maybe even Tench?
All of the above, and Barbel, which people over here would scream at and bash as a Pokeminnow. If we were lucky, then we would get into a Perch, those things would fight, and sometimes Pike.

I want to fish in the U.K. sometime, you must know a bit about how people setup for Carp.
The many times that i fished for carp were either on the bottom, with a feeder weight (take an empty 35mm film case, drill 1/4" holes around it, pack it with bread, corn, catfood, etc. Chums from the bottom up), or floating bread with a worm dangling off.

Dont EVER tell OnTheFly that i used to Carp fish in local competitions... never placed, but was amazed at some of the catches. Carp fishing competitions in the UK are like the Bass fishing over here. Competitive.

:lol: I remember my Stepdad took my brother and I swimming in Kline Line park where we lived in 1979! He was diving down deep and came up with my 1st combo. It was a Zebco 202 I believe. We moved to Missouri after MT St Helens erupted and Boy did i put some hurtings on the Bass and Blue Gill with that combo for years. Then I went for Catfish and blew the gears out. I should of went and bought a 404. :lol:

abu ambassadeur 7000. that's my first reel. before that, i've only fished with mono wound around tin cans, with sewing needles for hooks (stolen from mom) and sparks plugs for weight (also stolen)... i saved my allowance for 3 years to be able to afford that reel.

Sinkline

Spin reel but I don't remember anything about it.

First fly reel was an original design Pflueger.

My kids first reels were small Zebco closed face push button reels attached to home built casting rods I made of 3wt fiberglass flyrod blanks. Light and flexible and the kids use to bend them double pulling flies for stocked trout!

Randy

Top Bottom