Yosemite NP

F
FishSchooler
Going to Yosemite late August, anyone know what to bring?

I know there's no bait, barbless only hooks, and you dont need a license under 16 years of age.

B
beaverfan
I know what ya need to bring! ME!!!!! Hahaha no but seriously the same lures that work here should work there too. You might need to change up color a bit. I would bring plenty of spinners and Wooly Buggers they work everywhere!

F
FishSchooler
Would adams work?

Troutski
Troutski
The very best ...

The very best ...

FishSchooler said:

I know there's no bait, barbless only hooks, and you dont need a license under 16 years of age.

Get your hands on the very best Camera you can ..... you won't regret it. Skeeter repellent. Good luck and keep your eyes wide open, simply an amazing place...
I know this will age me greatly but does any one else remember the Fire Falls in the Valley at night....anyone- anyone. Pretty cool from the eyes of a ten year old.

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
Troutski said:
Get your hands on the very best Camera you can ..... you won't regret it. Skeeter repellent. Good luck and keep your eyes wide open, simply an amazing place...
I know this will age me greatly but does any one else remember the Fire Falls in the Valley at night....anyone- anyone. Pretty cool from the eyes of a ten year old.

Chuck

Yeah Chuck I thought I recognized you. Weren't you that old ranger that did the nightly announcements before the show?:lol:

My dad took me there for the first time when I was eight. Saw the fire fall every night for a week. One day we drove up to Glacier Point were they dumped the embers over.

As far as fishing, the Merced is like the Fall River; very clear and slow moving. Avoid the swimmers and rafters and fish early or late and try in the meadows. Personally I would take a drive to Tuolmne (to-all-lamy) Meadows and fish there instead.

K
koboabe
Troutski said:

Chuck

I was lucky to catch pictures of a firefall or two before I moved from Oakhurst... and it looked amazing.
what was the name of that campground that was right accross the water from where the logs fell?
love that valley... I need to get back there more often.

they stopped the FF due to the debris it left in the river, right?

O
OnTheFly
koboabe said:
I was lucky to catch pictures of a firefall or two before I moved from Oakhurst... and it looked amazing.
what was the name of that campground that was right accross the water from where the logs fell?
love that valley... I need to get back there more often.

they stopped the FF due to the debris it left in the river, right?

hey koboabe, It was Camp Curry. That's where the caller would silence the crowd then call up to the guys on top of Glacier Point to "Let the Fire Fall". Then sometime in the late 60s they stopped it because of the damaging impact from too many people tramping down meadow areas. Also the piss poor excuse that too much red fir bark used to make the falls was being removed from the park. The only thing visable thing left of it is an area on the face of the cliff where the lichen is gone. It was an amazing thing to see.
Some of my information here I looked up but the history of it is an interesting read.

O
OnTheFly
Check it out!

Check it out!

FishSchooler said:

Study the image and follow the river where it goes behind the rock hillside just above the '120' sign. That's where I'm talking about! Tioga Pass Rd.

O
OnTheFly
Perhaps this will sound a little dramatic but to me Yosemite is my Mecca and in my opinion there is no place like it on the planet!

F
FishSchooler
Thanks! I will keep it in mind.

Is there a scenic/popular hike to the river?

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
FishSchooler said:
Thanks! I will keep it in mind.

Is there a scenic/popular hike to the river?

Yes! If you look close in the image you can see the trail starting from the road through the grass leading towards the rocks. While on this trail once, my dog flushed out about 15 deer and they came out of the tree line at the base of the granite and circled us about three times like a stampede. People were (pist) because they set up their cameras to film wildlife and my dog messed them up. Guess that's the reason for the leash rule. :lol:

F
FishSchooler
Our campsite is over 1 hr away from there where yer deer dog was going crazy. :D
What are limits for any fish out of the Tuolumne? My family just kinda dont see the point of fishing and not keeping... I will try to "oops it slipped!" as much as I can though. :D

O
OnTheFly
FishSchooler said:
Our campsite is over 1 hr away from there where yer deer dog was going crazy. :D
What are limits for any fish out of the Tuolumne? My family just kinda dont see the point of fishing and not keeping... I will try to "oops it slipped!" as much as I can though. :D

I really couldn't tell you about the reg's there but as far as I know you can keep fish just like anywhere else. Fry up a couple for your family then C&R at will.

F
FishSchooler
OnTheFly said:
I really couldn't tell you about the reg's there but as far as I know you can keep fish just like anywhere else. Fry up a couple for your family then C&R at will.

It said 2 less than 12 inches (thats not much fish!) but special regs for Natives apply.

O
OnTheFly
FishSchooler said:
It said 2 less than 12 inches (thats not much fish!) but special regs for Natives apply.

Wonder if that's for all water in the park? Lakes too.:think: