ying and yang

B
bitesetreel
I've been periodically looking at this site for six plus months and have seen (and used) a lot of useful advice. Thank you! For example the steelhead threads have opened my mind to new techniques that have worked. It's been fun to see new things work when I have always been a simple roe, corky, or yarny drifter. Thank you all for being free with your knowledge. Unfortunately I've also noticed a lot of silly immature and unnecessary suspicious hostility. Hostility on a trout fishing forum, are you kidding me? I understand the the frustration of combat fishing for steelhead, salmon, sturgeon, etc. but trout? It seems there are a few folks (no names mentioned) on this site that revel in the anonomity of online confrontation. That's not what this place is for right? For all the positive, informative, and friendly posters thanks again for the "ying". For all the posters looking for a keyboard fight go away and take your "yang" with you.

O
Oregonchris
First welcome!, interesting first post. Could you provide an example of what you are referring to? I honestly dont remember hostility on the the trout forum????:shock:

Last edited:
B
bitesetreel
hostility may be a bit strong of a word for what I'm talking about. However, when we have inexperienced folks that seem to generally want to improve their knowledge of the regs and the local ettiquette we should embrace them. This doesn't mean you have to share your secret spot or dynamite bait/lure technique. It simply means responding in a way that leads them down the path to putting in good rod time and learning at their given pace. The fishery is not what it used to be but that doesn't make newbies potential poachers, flossers, snaggers, etc.

F
FishFinger
Welcome to the forum, it's nice to have you among out ranks. As I'm sure you noticed, the vast majority of the posts are offered up to do exactly what you mentioned; to help inform and share good information. Sometimes that may include bringing things to light that might not be initially understood by beginners. An inadvertent mistake such as out of season or size retention, illegal rigging, and foul hooking could well be very costly when seen through the eyes of a judge; who often say ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I understand your speaking about "tones" posters might seem to take on some issues. What I have seen is, this forum manages to "police" itself in more good ways than bad. Our membership is growing at a dizzying pace, We'll do our best to help it keep it's small town feel as best we can.

I am grateful for you input thus far and look forward to the insights you might choose to share in the future.

And again welcome aboard.

B
bitesetreel
There is definitely more good than bad or ugly on this forum. I just felt compelled to say my piece. Fishing grounds me. It makes all the bull@#$& melt away. I have to admit that my first post is somewhat negative in tone. Shame on me. In the future my contributions will be from a happy place. For me that usually means a river, stream, lake, pond etc. etc. Thanks again for posts like the Steely drift thread, the coastal system thread, the trout tolling thread, the .........you get the picture.

18406ej
18406ej
Welcome to OFF and to the Trout Forum. I look forward to your future input, advice and comments. This is without doubt THE best forum in the field, and I sincerely hope you enjoy your time here.