yesterdays fishin trip off the rocks in the bay!

F
fishndad
caught some real nice greenling and perch, one of the greenlings i caught was 23" almost the size of a keeper ling woohoo! lol i even caught a small cabezon i limited out in about 2 hours so it was a great day!
2pt9cle.jpg
301k1mh.jpg
2qdybmc.jpg

S
Shadelady
wow, nice work- tell all!! Newport? what were you using for bait?

T
Troutier Bassier
How do you catch those perch???

F
FishSlayer420
Nice fish man. I have never done that whole ocean fishing thing but man I have wanted to go so so so bad. Where were you at? what were you using for bait?.

F
fishndad
FishSlayer420 said:
Nice fish man. I have never done that whole ocean fishing thing but man I have wanted to go so so so bad. Where were you at? what were you using for bait?.

well i tell you what fish slayer! if you want to go ill show ya the tricks of the trade! just tell me when! i use a lot of different things. my favorite is sandshrimp! depending on where im fishing and what im fishing for! if im fishing for perch, greenling and other shallow rock fish i use sandshrimp! if im fishing for deeper much larger fish i use jigs with twin tails ripplers and a peice of cutbait or squid! i aslo use a slip bobber system like for salmon out there the only differance is i put the weight near the bottom! its a mooching rig and herring works awesome for this as well! now if iim just using sandshrimp then i use a 1 1/2 oz bank sinker on bottom and a size 1 baitholder hook about 8"-1' above the sinker on a liter!
let me remind you i fish from the banks and not on a boat! this has taken a very long time to perfect! but using any of the systems above will improve your chances of catching some decent fish but be prepared to lose 20$ bucks worth of hooks and sinkers in a day lol.

T
The Nothing
well done! That 23" greenling is actually larger than the new 22" minimum on lings ;)

I'd love to meet up sometime and siphon some of your knowledge. Yesterday was a first for me.

F
fishndad
well if you want to fish sometime let me know! i like fishing with whoever! ill teach ya what i know, im not real secretive!

S
steelhead1
not secretive huh?can I have your credit card # to buy some gear:lol:? joking!nice fish indeed!

F
fishndad
lol thats funny stuff steely lol anyhow yeah it was a pretty good day indeed think i might head out again wednesday for sure if weather permits!

T
The Nothing
Looks like a good fishing day to me, but i can't afford a second drive to the coast again this week :)

F
fishndad
well nothing let me know when ya can and ill be willing to go!

F
fishinwill
Awsome fishing! I was planning on taking a couple of cub scouts down to the south jetty in Newport in June to maybe try and catch a couple of rockfish. Just for fun. Any pointers that you can teach me. I fished there once with a slip boober and a jig casting out and retrieveing but that caught me nothing. Any tips or examples of rigs would be greatly appreciated.

~Will

F
fishndad
your best bet is to use sandshrimp, the way you would rig it is tie a 1-2 oz bank sinker on the bottom and a size 2 hook about a foot above that just use the pre-rigged baitholder hooks! then thread the sandshrimp on and cast near rocks that are in deep holes or at the edge of the rocks!