year round

R
R6anton
Is Hagg Lake opne to fish year round?

thanks,

Anton

B
beaverfan
No it isn't, make sure you check the regs before you head out. It is open now. I'm not sure of the exact dates.

R
R6anton
Hey thanks I appreciate it, I was checking because I was planning on heading out there tomorrow but I need to get a new license anyways so Ill check.

B
beaverfan
Good luck tomorrow. You got a boat or are you bankin' it? The water is real warm there so try to stick to the deeper areas of the main lake. I haven't gotten out there this year yet but have fished it tons the last couple years and I learned one thing. The big ol' trout in there just love a half a worm floated with a chartreuse or green marshmallow.

F
FishSchooler
Trout might move shallower due to the cool temps today. Fish from the end of the pier on the right side. Cast into the middle of the lake. Make sure your bait floats, or else you might as well go home! ;) 2 Powereggs on a #8-12 single egg hook will work.

R
R6anton
thanks guys I appreciate the tips, I think I will try them all :)

R
R6anton
I guess I do hae more more question on the proper rigging as I haven't trout fished in years in a lake.

I have a #10 and 8 on seperate poles how much weight and how far away from the swivel should the weight be.

Thanks in advance

B
beaverfan
I typically don't use a swivel for trout. I just tie the hook to my mainline with the splitshot 18 inches or so above. Is the 10 and 8 lb test line or hook size. If it's line strength you should probably use a swivel and go with a lighter leader. 4lb should work well. Tie the swivel on with 18inches or so of leader, then stick your weights directly above the swivel.

R
R6anton
Oh sorry forgot to clarify that-

line- 6# test
hooks- are an 8 and and 10 that I am trying

Sorry I''m pretty new at this- The leader is the line between the swivel/weights to the hook correct?

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Yup thats your leader. Best of luck out there!

R
R6anton
beaverfan said:
Yup thats your leader. Best of luck out there!

Hey I appreciate it I will have a good time just the gf and I heading out for a quiet evening!

B
beaverfan
Ahhh a romantic evening on the lake! Complete with the fresh scent of powerbait, the slime from worms, and hopefully the smell and slime of FISH!!!

R
R6anton
beaverfan said:
Ahhh a romantic evening on the lake! Complete with the fresh scent of powerbait, the slime from worms, and hopefully the smell and slime of FISH!!!

hahaha sounds good to me.

R
R6anton
The only other option for a Saturday night would be go karts LOL.

F
FishSchooler
If you have a really thick mainline, you can still catch fish. I caught tons of them from hagg with 12 lb main. This is my rig-mainline, black barrel swivel, atleast 30 in leader of 6 or 4 lb flouro, then a #10 single egg hook with 2 powereggs on it. Replace the egg, as the scent disappates after a short while, but dont throw them away! Put them back in the jar with the rest, so it will get scenty again. Saves money too!

R
R6anton
FishSchooler said:
If you have a really thick mainline, you can still catch fish. I caught tons of them from hagg with 12 lb main. This is my rig-mainline, black barrel swivel, atleast 30 in leader of 6 or 4 lb flouro, then a #10 single egg hook with 2 powereggs on it. Replace the egg, as the scent disappates after a short while, but dont throw them away! Put them back in the jar with the rest, so it will get scenty again. Saves money too!

Nice good idea thanks!