Yarnballs!

Z
ZeeBorn
Ok, I just made a bunch of balls but I have never fished with them before. I know you drift fish them but I was wondering if there are any particular things I should do. Do I need a longer leader because they don't float? Smaller hooks? Longer dropper line to the weight? Any other tricks I should know?
Thanks Guys!
Nate

Last edited by a moderator:
M
metalfisher76
ZeeBorn said:
Ok, I just made a bunch of balls but I have never fished with them before. I know you drift fish them but I was wondering if there are any particular things I should do. Do I need a longer leader because they don't float? Smaller hooks? Longer dropper line to the weight? Any other tricks I should know?
Thanks Guys!
Nate

Lookin good. I don`t use a dropper. I leave a tag end from the main line off of either a swivel or a surgeons knot. Then I attach pencil lead to the tag. The amount depends on the water. I use a size 4 and 18-24 inches of leader. Have fun!

B
BlackBass
Fish them with a 24" leader , dont be afraid to fish them under a bobber, they work. Add scent a sand shrimp tail, or some eggs, i tie my yarn balls so that i still have a bait loop im not sure what method you used. You should have no problem catching fish with them.

Z
ZeeBorn
metalfisher76 said:
Lookin good. I don`t use a dropper. I leave a tag end from the main line off of either a swivel or a surgeons knot. Then I attach pencil lead to the tag. The amount depends on the water. I use a size 4 and 18-24 inches of leader. Have fun!

It seams like that would stress the knot when the led gets snagged. Do you ever have problems with that? That would make the rig a little simpler anyway.

BlackBass said:
Fish them with a 24" leader , dont be afraid to fish them under a bobber, they work. Add scent a sand shrimp tail, or some eggs, i tie my yarn balls so that i still have a bait loop im not sure what method you used. You should have no problem catching fish with them.

I don't know if I made them the way other people do but, I just tied them as if I was tying a large glow bug fly but, I did it on a small diameter length of stiff wire instead of a hook. Then after it was all tied up I just slipped it off the end of the wire and trimmed it up. Then I'll just use an egg loop to hold it on the hook.
Got any recommendations for a sent that winter steelhead like?

Thanks for the help guys. I hope this is helpful to other people too. I know I can't be the only one wanting to try this out.

Cheers,
Nate

B
BlackBass
I use craw anise, or shrimp scent. The way you tied your yarn balls is ideal.

Z
ZeeBorn
Ok cool, thanks! I'll give them a shot when the rivers get back in shape and let you know how they do.
-Nate

M
Mike123
Those look amazing! Nice job! :clap:

They don't float, per se, but they have just the right amount of buoyancy to hang in the strike zone.

Leader length depends on what type of water and how your fishing..
Side drifters usually run longer leader around 3ft... drifters 2ft... I've run 12-16in. leaders when fishing narrow chutes.. or as long as 4-5 ft leaders on long run pepplestone bottoms or in the summer in mossy areas to keep the weight out of sight and the yarn ball out of the moss.

Salmon Feast always kills fish for me.. smells like roe and other "good stuff." :D
Pautzke Nectar is good too.

M
metalfisher76
ZeeBorn said:
It seams like that would stress the knot when the led gets snagged. Do you ever have problems with that? That would make the rig a little simpler anyway.

I don't know if I made them the way other people do but, I just tied them as if I was tying a large glow bug fly but, I did it on a small diameter length of stiff wire instead of a hook. Then after it was all tied up I just slipped it off the end of the wire and trimmed it up. Then I'll just use an egg loop to hold it on the hook.
Got any recommendations for a sent that winter steelhead like?

Thanks for the help guys. I hope this is helpful to other people too. I know I can't be the only one wanting to try this out.

Cheers,
Nate

Never been an issue. Just landed a limit of winters on the same rigging. After being hung up just downstream of there. Don`t crimp so hard to the tag and you won`t have any issues, just slips off and ya still got everything. Been doin it for 10+ years now. Another thing to consider is crimping on the bottom end so you only have 1/2 an inch or so to slip off.

C
carl hungis
BlackBass said:

yep!

B
BobberDown
Mike123 said:

They don't float, per se, but they have just the right amount of buoyancy to hang in the strike zone.

Side drifters usually run longer leader around 3ft... drifters 2ft... I've run 12-16in. leaders when fishing narrow chutes.. or as long as 4-5 ft leaders on long run pepplestone bottoms or in the summer in mossy areas to keep the weight out of sight and the yarn ball out of the moss.

Salmon Feast always kills fish for me.. smells like roe and other "good stuff." :D

mike 123 hit it on the head with this one i dont fish yarn balls i tie clobugs same thing but the yarn is tied to the hook i use #2 hooks with like a 1/2 to 3/4 inch yarn ball or #4 with the smaller 3/8 to 1/2 in yarn ball and i tend to use a 24 to 36 in lead i manley use a 36 " leader and a good amount of Sand shrimp and anis mix like smellygellys speshal mix good luck

B
BobberDown
Mike123 said:

mike 123 hit it on the head with this one i dont fish yarn balls i tie clobugs same thing but the yarn is tied to the hook i use #2 hooks with like a 1/2 to 3/4 inch yarn ball or #4 with the smaller 3/8 to 1/2 in yarn ball and i tend to use a 24 to 36 in lead i manley use a 36 " leader and a good amount of Sand shrimp and anis mix like smellygellys speshal mix oh and they do work grate under a float to a split shot 16 " up and run your split shot at the leavle you would run your jig and you will be suprized at how well it works
good luck

Z
ZeeBorn
Thanks for the quick and helpful response guys! I'm ready to fish! I may have gone a little "nuts" with my "balls!" :lol: They are just so easy and fun to make! I want hundreds of them just to play with!:shock:
Has anyone found a use for the trimmings? This is a pretty wasteful process.

Last edited by a moderator:
M
metalfisher76
ZeeBorn said:
Thanks for the quick and helpful response guys! I'm ready to fish! I may have gone a little "nuts" with my "balls!" :lol: They are just so easy and fun to make! I want hundreds of them just to play with!:shock:
Has anyone found a use for the trimmings? This is a pretty wasteful process.

I have a couple cups full of clippings. I`ve considered some of those sacks guys use for single eggs that show up during curing. Haven`t actually tried it yet, just an idea.

M
Mike123
I just save the clippings for when I fish the smallest size corkie, yarn, and eggs/shrimp combo. Just a touch of yarn is all you need and the clippings work great for that. My favorite color for winter is flame/egg or pink/peach.
I also, tie them onto a hook or make glo bugs. Don't be afraid to tie big and small patterns. If the water is clear I'd use about egg sized ones.

Last edited: