Yarn ball?

B
bigsteel
do you guys ever tie on your yarn ball with thread in a fly vise,,like a globug,,,,or is it better to run the egg loop?

M
Mike123
I tie mine in a vise..

Pros - Stays round, since there's no bait loop to squish it.
Cons - No bait loop for eggs.

T
thepreditor
i tie mine in a vise... I think the finished product is better..

B
bigsteel
how do you secure them to the shank???do you wrap them right in the middle or do u wrap it in the front like a finished fly

M
Mike123
bigsteel said:
how do you secure them to the shank???do you wrap them right in the middle or do u wrap it in the front like a finished fly

You pinch your strands of yarn together, then wrap your thread in the center of the hook. Youtube "glo bugs"... that should explain how you tie it with a vise.

A
autofisher
It depends. I'd like to tie mine with a vise, but I usually forget to do it before I go. If I'm on the water and I remember to bring the "magic thread", then I'll tie it and trim it there. I usually run the hook through the ball, and slide it up. If I have an egg loop tied on, I can secure the yarn and the roe with the loop. Sometimes I just run the yarn with some scent on it.

J
JeannaJigs
Hands down, I only like to do mine in a vise at home directly onto the hook. They're quick and easy and I can tie up a 46 pack of hooks in about an hour. I don't use bait often, and never with a yarnball so an egg loop isn't needed.

B
bigsteel
ive got some done in my vise,,,i definitely think it will hold better,,,,,,,46 in an hour,,,takes me that long to get em out of the pack

J
JeannaJigs
Lol takes some practice. Once you get a routine down..they're super quick and will hold up to anything.

T
thepreditor
Mike123 said:
You pinch your strands of yarn together, then wrap your thread in the center of the hook. Youtube "glo bugs"... that should explain how you tie it with a vise.

this is exactlly how i do it and learned....