Yaquina herring

Oregon213

Looking to get into herring fishing this year, other than the broad February-April window for when they're generally in the bays - how do people know when its time to make the haul down to Newport?

Does ODFW usually include it in their recreation report? I'm trying to get an idea on when I should flex my schedule at work to get down there a couple times.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

C_Run

I have a friend who does it and says there are two runs, February and later on like maybe May (?). I went once for the later run and it was like " Oh, you should have been here last week." Got skunked on the herring and ended up switching to fishing the jetty with some success on other species. That's about all I know.

Fishing Rod

I have a friend who does it and says there are two runs, February and later on like maybe May (?). I went once for the later run and it was like " Oh, you should have been here last week." Got skunked on the herring and ended up switching to fishing the jetty with some success on other species. That's about all I know.
Mid February has been the ticket for the last few years, into March, Some work brining these herring and putting them away. But great bait for bottom fish and Halibut, and tipping my hooches off with a piece of herring, not much good for cut plug. I take the grand kids and they have a great time.

Top Bottom