Yamhill River Fishing

M
masmith
I hesitate to post this as I don't want to draw a bunch of fishing pressure- but, I will anyway.

I fished the Yamhill river down by where I live tonight.

I saw fish rolling to put it midly.

We are talking a jump every 15-30 seconds. Big ones, smaller ones, bright ones, dark ones.

Threw a myriad of spinners and drifted eggs. A couple tail slaps on the spinners was it.

Pretty sure they are all lock jawed just like they were yesterday.

Another guy was there trying to floss them and even he was not succesful (darn).

So, the conditions are this-

Warmer dark water. About 10-13 feet deep. LOTS of snags, trees in the water. This hole has very little current on either bank, with mild current in the middle of the hole. Most of the fish were jumping near the bank, under trees, 5-10 feet frokm structures or the bank.

I can cast just about to the other bank.

So.......

Any ideas? What would be the best bait? I assume I would want to be as close to the bottom as possible? Any ideas for color, size for lures? Any ideas, methods would be much appreciated.

M
metalfisher76
Bobber and eggs. Black Leech patterns, stripped(flyfishing). Plugs. More spinners. But if you don`t have current you`ll have a hard time getting a drift if your not under a bobber w/ your eggs.

M
masmith
Any ideas for colors, depth, presentation? With slowr currnt will they be lower or higher? Any specifics would be great.

M
metalfisher76
I can`t judge the depth from my couch, that`d be your on the water gig. I said black, that should be your go to in muddy water, the sillouette shows up better than most colors. Red can work too. Not sure what to say about presentation either, not knowing what your going to chuck. They will always hug the bottom more than the top. If they are rolling, good, that doesn`t mean those rolling are your biters, just means they are present. Stay as close to the bottom as possible.

A
autofisher
Quick ways that I've always used to check the depth......
You can tie a weight on to your bobber and keep moving the stop until your bobber isn't moving and laying a little to its side. Then adjust your stop and leader accordingly.

Throw a weight out that's about the same as the spinner that you're throwin out. Count the seconds until it hits the bottom. When you throw your spinner out, subtract seconds until you find the fish on your retrieve.

Hope this helps a little

M
masmith
I know the depth, not my question.

B
bcanini
I think I'd be throwing something under a bobber.. with a higher sulfites and maybe a little sweetness too.
fluorescent pink plugs steelhead size and a little bigger, and smaller silver spinners.
Thats what I would throw at em, river coho can be a btich...

B

M
Mad dog
Coho or chinook?

Fish eggs under a float for chinook, I would go with chartruse or glow wiggle warts with scent for coho, fish them slow with lots of wobble. Sometimes you just have to put in your time to get a biter! :pray:

M
masmith
Mad dog said:
Coho or chinook?

Fish eggs under a float for chinook, I would go with chartruse or glow wiggle warts with scent for coho, fish them slow with lots of wobble. Sometimes you just have to put in your time to get a biter! :pray:

Coho. How do use use wiggle warts from the bank?

C
Chrome_Chaser
Mad dog said:
Coho or chinook?

What kind of scent do cohos like?

W
wormosa
masmith said:
Coho. How do use use wiggle warts from the bank?
what i did was cast and a slow reel, the wart works quite well..

M
masmith
I will get some wiggle warts.

B
bigfootfish
Mill Creek

Mill Creek

I'm curious to see if those Coho will head up Mill Creek, under Hwy. 22. Nice looking water up that way for spawning, up past both parks.:think:
BFF

B
bigfootfish
Near Huddelston Pond

Near Huddelston Pond

Went to the mouth of Willamina Creek today. Lots and lots of Coho there. Mixed chrome to red. Too bad the South is closed to salmon fishing downstream a few miles.

BFF

Last edited:
M
masmith
bigfootfish said:
Went to the mouth of Willamina Creek today. Lots and lots of Coho there. Mixed chrome to red. Too bad the South is closed to salmon fishing downstream a few miles.

BFF

Most of the south river is open though from sheridan to willimina isn't it?

B
bigfootfish
S. Yamhill

S. Yamhill

Masmith,
The S. Yamhill including Mill and Willimina Creeks are open till the 31st for Trout fishing. From where Rock Creek flows into to the S. Yam just a mile or so upstream from Sheridan you can Salmon fish, but only up to Rock Creek. Above Rock Creek no salmon fishing. Now the N. Yamhill.....it seems to be closed to salmon fishing period. Darn!

BFF

B
bigfootfish
South Yamhill & North Yamhill

South Yamhill & North Yamhill

Masmith,
The S. Yamhill including Mill and Willimina Creeks are open till the 31st for Trout fishing. From where Rock Creek flows into to the S. Yam just a mile or so upstream from Sheridan you can Salmon fish, but only up to Rock Creek. Above Rock Creek no salmon fishing. Now the N. Yamhill.....it seems to be closed to salmon fishing period. Darn!

BFF