Yamaha or Mercury?

T
Troutier Bassier
Which do you Recomend for Motors?
My Daddy Gots Himself a Mercury.
And This one Old Timer Bass Guy has a Yamaha and says They Break Less and Go Faster.
Which one? :think:

Or can you list the Pros and Cons, Cause my Best Friends Dad wants to get a Honda, :rolleyes::naughty::naughty::rolleyes:

O
osmosis
I run Mercury motors. Only problem I've had since '96 is mild starter trouble.
I pulled it apart and sanded it, toss it back together and new again. so that makes it 13 years old, used 150 days a year at the very least, and I run it very hard - never broken anything.

about faster, I dont know about that. that has to do with size of motor, weight to power ratio, pump or prop, pitch and depth of the screw, way too many variables so I can't be convinced one is faster than the other without everything being equal and using two motors of exactly the same size running on the same fuel, and then testing them both.

At 2/3rds throttle with my 90 horse Mercury on my 18' sled I pass cars on the highway/freeway.

Troutski
Troutski
Merc...

Merc...

MERC....nuf said.

Chuck

F
frodog
crazy bout a mercury

crazy bout a mercury

I rock a merc, had a suzuki on a smaller boat never again. I have used my boat every weekend this year less three at least one day and all it needs to keep running awsome is preventative maintenance like anything else love it.

F
FishSchooler
This is my ride...

This is my ride...

Whenever our boat is going, it's being propelled by oars. :cool:
This is my sweet ride in the field... :cool:

Last edited:
D
Dan Feller
Mercury!

Mercury!

I don't have any experience with Yamahas, but I've been running a 25 HP Bigfoot for about ten years and I really like it. The only time it has failed me is when the stator and voltage regulator went out a few months back. If I were to get another motor it would be either another Mercury or a Honda (my father-in-law is a die-hard Honda fan).

C
capblack
I had a 90 hp johnson on my 95 seaswirl, and a 4 hp merc 40 kicker with the thunderbolt ignition on my last boat, and had no complaints with either one. Ive never used a yamaha personally, but my friend had a 115 on his old glastron skiboat that worked fine. I will say that as far as older outboards still being used, I see more of the old thunderbolt ignition mercs on the water than any other by far. hope this helps, Brian

Irishrover
Irishrover
Mercury #1 on the water! These guys get me out and they get me back and don't cost an arm and a leg to fuel.

Last edited:
J
joeyota
I run Honda's! Mercury would be my second choice for sure!