X-mas eve kayak fishing

M
minnowmagnet
I have been having so much fun fishing for sturgeon from my new kayak. Today was no exception. I fished a hole off of what I call "Dog-Fight Beach" and caught fish all day long. I lost a couple of oversized but managed to haul this one to the beach for a photo. Several keepers also bit really hard today and made it to my kayak. I fished half herring marinated in Sturgeon Feast and they loved it. overnight.

• Kayak Gator.jpg
  • Nice Sharky.jpg
Reactions: halibuthitman and Raincatcher
B
billfisher
Wow, thats got to be a thrill, I've never fished for those dinasoars. Congrats!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Wow, what a thrill!

bass
bass
Nice looking fish! We will have to hook up on a kayak sturgeon slaying adventure one of these days. I usually post my pending trips on the NWKA site.

A
agapeliving
Wow great fun! I had a 7 footer tow me and my 17ft boat around the Mothball Fleet in the Suisun straights a few years ago. I had to go where he wanted so I can only dream about the fight you get being in a kayak:).

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm amazed by this. I never knew a person could fish for sturgeon from a kayak. I figured the currents would be too strong. We fished for them by Boneville and brought three oversized to the boat and a few shakers too. But the currents we were in were super strong and our guide had a hard time keeping the boat straight.

I suppose a person could do it from a drift boat then too????

S
steelhead_slayer
WOW. That looks awesome

M
minnowmagnet
thanks and praise from me too

thanks and praise from me too

bass said:
Nice looking fish! We will have to hook up on a kayak sturgeon slaying adventure one of these days. I usually post my pending trips on the NWKA site.

Right on, I would love to practice my social skills and fish with some other kayakers sometime. I am just learning about kayak fishing and would love to find out how others do it. I definitely could use some pointers come salmon season. I will check out NWKA. Thanks!

M
minnowmagnet
jamisonace said:
I'm amazed by this. I never knew a person could fish for sturgeon from a kayak. I figured the currents would be too strong. We fished for them by Boneville and brought three oversized to the boat and a few shakers too. But the currents we were in were super strong and our guide had a hard time keeping the boat straight.

I anchor in current just like any boat. I can sometimes get away with less anchor line, which keeps my boat from swinging as much as a regular boat. Fighting the fish is easier and more fun in a kayak because it gets pulled around by the fish so much. I haven't encountered any really strong current yet because the Willy has been quite tame this Dec. I usually unclip from my anchor line with any fish that feels hefty, as they seem to love to get wrapped up in it. Drift boat, no problem.

T
The Nothing
You're not going to run a kayak up at Bonneville, that's for sure... But, throughout most of the remaining Columbia River system, you'll find slower and deeper water with some great sturgeon fishing.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
jamisonace said:

Check out The Nothing's archived posts or site for tons of info on kayaking. He is the authority as far as I'm concerned. He even braves the ocean and is involved in numerous tournaments around the country.

N
Noahk
Great job! What type of kayak are you fishing out of? NWKA is a great resource and there are tons of chances to fish with other kayak anglers. It's also informative to check out the set ups and techniques of the more advanced yakers.

N
nwkiller
all i can say is awesome!!!!!!!

S
Slick
No kidding! Awesome is the word!

M
muskieguide
How deep is the river where you are anchoring up. I've been thinkin bout takin my pontoon boat up there.

F
fish4life
Sweet dino must of been in the upper 50"s