Would this spinning rod handle a steelhead?

D
Dweller
I will open by saying I have never fished for steelhead before, but have wanted to start and am hoping I can re-purpose I rod I have for it.

The rod I have in mind is a 9' medium-light for 6 to 10 lbs test. I plan to pair this up with a Shimano Sedona 2500 with a strong high-vis braided line (20 lbs?) and run an 8 lbs leader.

I would likely want to use this with bobber, drift and possibly spinners.

Thoughts on this setup? I am not opposed to starting from scratch if I need to, but if I could use this to get started that would be great.

thanks all, I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

T
Throbbit _Shane
That will work. I would use 10lb mono.

troutdude
troutdude
Me too...10 lb. mono. Otherwise, sounds like a decent set up.

C
capblack
nothing wrong with using 20 lb braid on a float rod as long as you use mono for the leader. i think braid floats better than mono

R
RunWithSasquatch
capblack said:
nothing wrong with using 20 lb braid on a float rod as long as you use mono for the leader. i think braid floats better than mono

Definatly will want to use braid if you plan to use it as a float rod!! And 8lb would be plenty of line, but 10lb wont hurt!

I
imfishing
Greetings all.

One More Suggestion I Could OFFer...

Get the 20 pound test High Vis Power Pro and then knot in about a 12 to 13 foot of 10 to 12 pound test mono "Bumper"...

I use a double uni knot for this cause I can tie it well.
I use 8 wraps on the braid and 6 or 7 for the mono*...

Then go with either your 10 or 8 pound leader respectively. That way you can fish every type of lure you want and still get some toughness... Kevin Smith Calls This "Braid With Benefits". Many thanks to Wide Open Charlie who showed me this method...As Always Your Mileage Can/Will Vary*.

I busted a sweet Nate hen last week using this setup with a spinner.
Braid [High vis] + 12# Izor XXX Smoke Bumper + Snap Swivel + Spinner = Nate

Another technique I have gleaned from Wide Open Charlie is to terminate the bumper with a size 10 snap barrel swivel...

Then all your pre-ties, terminate them with a snap barrel swivel and you can be switched from drifting to spinners in seconds.

This gets tricky having also a modular bobber method, but im sure it can be done.

Good Luck,

Hope this helps

Y
youngbuck307
Anything over 12lbs in heavy water or where u have to stop a fish is fought but can be done as this is pretty much the set up I use for them all but with 10/8 mono trust me rod would probably break befor 8lb max would if u don't straighten out on it. My 2 cents