would this be feezable?

L
lizardman
I had a thought of taking a nine or 9 1/2 foot 6-7 weight fly rod and outfitting it with a good shimano spinning reel with braided main line.

My idea is I could possibly cast further and it would put my hands in the position I am more used to when I use the light or ultra light spinning gear as the handles on the trout rods I have are much shorter than the handles on my 8 1/2 foot and 9 1/2 foot medium weight spinning rods.

also I have a 7 foot St Croix 5 weight fly rod that I used to use with a bait cast reel for trout fishing (that is the way my grandpa set it up for me when I was about 12). I found out this rod was built in 1957 (the only year it was made with the colors it has on it) and it is in pristeen condition (looks like it will become a wall hanger and I will be buying a new fly rod if I want to take up fly fishing.

Your thoughts on this?

B
beaverfan
I say go for it, I brought mismatching pieces to two rods camping about a month ago so was stuck with just my fly rod. It's about 7 ft and 5wt I believe. I was able to cast extremely far even with light spinners. It was a little awkward at first but once I got it down it worked quite well.

H
hendrixfan
I have done it with light mono and agree braided would be better. I think that was the basic idea behind the rod that Jed Davis said he uses in his spinner fishing book.

M
Mike123
Is this for a float rod?
If so..
get a 10 1/2 footer in a 7wt...
9' is kinda short for a light action float rod.

L
lizardman
I was thinking as a triple purpose rod. float rod, use with small 1/16 oz spinners and even smaller things like D-teasers (the little red and silver stamped fish looking things with a single hook), or maybe a light weight bait set up if I wanted to throw a single egg or piece of corn out further to either let it do a weightless drift or with a small splitshot to get it deeper.

I was also hoping to use something like this for the salmon.

Dave

D
Drew9870
I believe it was Osmosis that said he does this sometimes.

It sounds like you are wanting a mega-ultra light setup, I would never recommend braided line for ultra light fishing, I believe the point of fishing ultra light is to present your bait as natural as possible, and braided line is way to visible to make anything look natural, and when the fish samples your bait, he's gonna feel that braided line instantly.

I would recommend Maxima UG line in 6lb tops for this setup, and the biggest spinning reel you should use is one that holds around 150yds of 6lb (probably still too big). The hardest part of perfecting this setup would be matching the size of reel to the rod and the action of the rod.

Q
qwapaw
I used an 8 1/2' fly rod with a small mitchell for years as my pan fish rod and planted trout rod. I did use mono on the reel. It was a lot of fun, but I found that if I hooked a 3 pound bass I felt it was playing me instead of me playing it. Give it a try, First big fish you get on will answer all your questions, and it will be a hoot if you can land it. Good luck, keep us posted, Qwa