Would these work

T
TTFishon
I was wondering if these would work for steelhead. It's only three bucks for a pack of them at Bi-Mart.

B
beaverfan
Ya I'd say give em a shot, I got some similar ones at Wal Mart about a month ago. I tried em out my last time out and after 30-45 min mine were still floating and there was little to no color bleeding. The ones I got were like fluorescent colors and had like glitter strands in them.

T
TTFishon
Are the ones you got made for fishing? These were in the art isle.

J
JeeperGal
I remember in another thread someone posted that they ruined his nice fishing vest with the fading colors

so be warned!

C
Cracker
Try going to a place like Joanne's fabrics. you should be able to get bulk in the same color you want.

T
TTFishon
JeeperGal said:
I remember in another thread someone posted that they ruined his nice fishing vest with the fading colors

so be warned!

Thanks for the warning. I wonder how long it takes for the color to fade? I guess I'll have to buy some and give them a try.

A
autofisher
It's going to depend on the dye bath that they used and the mortar that they used to set the color. MOST companies that make the production yarn balls that don't fade in water use a highly toxic dye and mortar that if you breath it during the dye process it can lead to extensive lung damage. A generic dye with a simple or natural mortar will almost always have some color fading. The best way to avoid the run off on your clothes or vest, is to separate the colors if you can and place them in a container with warm water mixed with lemon joy (just my preference) leave them in the soak for about an hour...stirring if you feel the need. Take them out and let them dry and you should be good to go.

Also, the color fading is going to depend on the water temperature and/or the temperature of the body the vest is on. If you don't have a good set mortar and you get the balls wet and then hook them back on your vest, you have a better chance of the fading because the body temperature will raise the temp on the water. Then because you're moving around and not stationary, the friction will cause the balls to rub and you'll have started the bleeding out process for the dye.

Hope this helps.

T
TTFishon
autofisher said:
It's going to depend on the dye bath that they used and the mortar that they used to set the color. MOST companies that make the production yarn balls that don't fade in water use a highly toxic dye and mortar that if you breath it during the dye process it can lead to extensive lung damage. A generic dye with a simple or natural mortar will almost always have some color fading. The best way to avoid the run off on your clothes or vest, is to separate the colors if you can and place them in a container with warm water mixed with lemon joy (just my preference) leave them in the soak for about an hour...stirring if you feel the need. Take them out and let them dry and you should be good to go.

Also, the color fading is going to depend on the water temperature and/or the temperature of the body the vest is on. If you don't have a good set mortar and you get the balls wet and then hook them back on your vest, you have a better chance of the fading because the body temperature will raise the temp on the water. Then because you're moving around and not stationary, the friction will cause the balls to rub and you'll have started the bleeding out process for the dye.

Hope this helps.

It does help a little bit. I don't really care about my fishing clothes getting stained but I do care about a product losing it's fish catching color. Thanks for the info.

B
beaverfan
TTFishon said:
Are the ones you got made for fishing? These were in the art isle.

Mine were for arts and crafts too.

B
beaverfan
TTFishon said:
It does help a little bit. I don't really care about my fishing clothes getting stained but I do care about a product losing it's fish catching color. Thanks for the info.

You might get lucky, mine didn't leave any dye behind.

T
TTFishon
beaverfan said:
You might get lucky, mine didn't leave any dye behind.

For three bucks I think it's worth the gamble.

B
beaverfan
Ya that's about how much mine were too. If they run just toss them after one use. At that price you can't go wrong. I must say the hold scent tremendously.

T
TTFishon
beaverfan said:
Ya that's about how much mine were too. If they run just toss them after one use. At that price you can't go wrong. I must say the hold scent tremendously.

I bet they do. Have you ever tried using those foam ear plugs or a piece of sponge? I was thinking the sponge would really hold the scent well.

B
beaverfan
Never tried either, the sponge I think would work well if you used a corkie then a small piece of sponge with scent on the hook with a bait loop.

I
I Grade
Here....You can have my 'gay pride' fishing vest with the rainbow of colors running down the lower right hand side pocket. They bled like a stuck pig and got water logged like a sponge. I wont buy them again. Nuff said.

B
beaverfan
Just because yours bled doesn't mean all of them bleed. The ones I got were under 3.00 for 60 of them and they do not bleed at all! Sorry you had a bad experience with some.

C
Cohosanders
TTFishon said:
I was wondering if these would work for steelhead. It's only three bucks for a pack of them at Bi-Mart.

Try Micheals. The ones I got there were not as expensive(maybe .99 or 1.99) and they are durable & stain free. I have not caught any fish using them, but I just started and I think they will actually work. They hold scent great too.

A
autofisher
I Grade said:
Here....You can have my 'gay pride' fishing vest with the rainbow of colors running down the lower right hand side pocket. They bled like a stuck pig and got water logged like a sponge. I wont buy them again. Nuff said.

What brand of yarn balls did you buy? Were they wool, nylon, acrylic? Until you know the answers to all of these, you can't say that ALL are going to be bad. It's just in your experience with the brand that you bought, they bled and ruined your vest.

I
I Grade
To call what I bought a 'yarn ball' would be an insult to yarn balls. These are quite literally cheap chinese sponges with glitter yarn and cheap dye in them. You can throw just about anything in the water and catch a fish if you stand there long enough, but I think that there are better options on the market that don't stain and work more effectively. I will keep my globugs and corkies in the stained pocket and NEVER use these again. .02

I Grade

P.S.- Why would you buy tackle that will fail after a single cast? Just because they are cheap??? Consumer culture.......

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
Well tell us what brand they were so we can stay away from it. The ones I got don't bleed, are incredibly buoyant, and they don't bleed. Throw in that they absorb scent better than just about anything else and you got a keeper in my book.