Would most larger ponds have fish?

F
FishSchooler
Would most larger ponds that you can see on google maps have fish in them? You guys seem to just pick a pond anywhere in the map, then go there, then catch a fish............ Lol

Troutski
Troutski
FishSchooler said:
Would most larger ponds that you can see on google maps have fish in them? You guys seem to just pick a pond anywhere in the map, then go there, then catch a fish............ Lol

Most lakes and ponds have some sort of life form in them and thus they have a food chain. Therefor they must have fish in them, the key is to figure out what type of fish and learn to target them....if there small fish then there are large fish....the only water that doesn't hold fish is the one you can't get to. :):lol:;)
What general area do you usually fish in.....?

Chuck

C
chris61182
Troutski said:
the only water that doesn't hold fish is the one you can't get to.

I'd say it's the other way around, especially when you're not catching at the current pond :).

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I'm a Google Map veteran and have never found a pond that didn't have something in it. Generally, if it has a moderately sized creek that runs into it, or a creek that runs out but isn't blocked by a beaver damn or a culvert it will probably have trout. Around here I have found that most ponds with trout have bass, but some ponds with bass or other panfish won't have trout.
The most important thing a pond needs to support trout is depth. They need cold water to survive and if they can't find it they won't make it. A good example would be the "Honey Hole" out by EE Wilson. Big bass, catfish, crappie, bluegill and perch but not a trout in sight because it's only 12' deep. They could stock it but they would still die off in the summer.
If you find a pond that you think not many people know about, first of all let us know :D hahah just kidding. Feel free to keep it to yourself, but walk around the bank and try to spot minnows, or bluegill etc. At that point then try to determine if it might have trout.
Have fun!

C
cavdad45
Just toss a nightcrawler under a bobber to see if the pond has fish. I will usually experiment with a small spinner or floating Rapala, also.

H
Hawk
It's Great FUNS explorin' the BLM backroads lookin' fer new honey fishin' holes.................i go out with my ol 4x4 pickemuptruck often...............................:cool::cool::cool:...........................:lol::lol::lol:

see much Beautiful scenery tooo...................

F
FishSchooler
Thanks guys, I'll go on an adventure searching fo those honey holes! I might tell you if I find one. :D

K
krikcoin
??

??

FishSchooler said:

I don't know if this is a wifes taleor what. I was younger and had heard that waterfowl get eggs on their undersides and the eggs get transfered that way. As to how truw that is i don't know. but it is something that does make sense it could happen.

F
FishSchooler
I remember that there's a large pond behind OES when I passed by there. I found it on local.live.com (its graphics are better than google maps) and it didn't look bad. I looked online and found out that it is the scource of Fanno Creek, which empties into the tualatin river. Fanno Creek is where the Bass spawn. I doubt you can fish in it. I also found that there are ducks, minnow, bugs, and weird insects living there since it is a huge wetlands with a pond. Looks huge if you drive by. I don't want to get in trouble though by fishing.