Worms!!

F
FishSchooler
No no no, earthworms are that pinky color. Nightcrawlers are brown and their heads are very very dark. Red wigglers are very red, and they have yellow rings when they are young (at least that what mine are like...) and they are small. Nightcrawlers are tougher.

F
Fishtopher
Says who

F
FishSchooler
Says who on what?

F
Fishtopher
Says you on worms!! Crawlers and Earthworms are one in the same.

J
JeannaJigs
Haha the great worm debate....

J
JeannaJigs
but yeah night crawlers and earth worms...same species. just different names

F
FishSchooler
What?!

Then what are those worms that you just find normally when digging?

N
ninja2010
if you're digging at night, they're nighcrawlers...
if you're digging in the dirt, they're earthworms...
if you cut one accidentally, then you have bloodworms...

i don't know. i just had to chime in coz i don't know any better about worms. :D

A
Anyfishisfine
Backyard worms are supposed to be unsuitable due to depth requirements and diet, but reports here are that they do breed in a home farm.I might experiment with these later, but hesitate to use them on my first shot.

Has anyone here fished with the Africans?

F
FishSchooler
Gravel? I should of thought of that! You are very smart... ;) But I read that worms dont like rocks. They can't eat them and moss will start growing on the gravel because moss is the only common plant that can grow on rocks.
Dont forget to drill holes in the sides too, and the top.

For a starter batch, do you mean for worms or for bedding? If for worms, I would go reds, but I have 2 worm farms, one crawlers and the others red.:D They breed much faster than crawlers and you can have more in a smaller bin. For bedding, coconut fibers, newpaper/cardboard, and/or brown leaves. Add a little top soil too. They need the grit to digest their food.

Happy farmin'

A
Anyfishisfine
Gravel wasn't my idea, like most of my great ideas, I read about it on the internet. It would only be on the bottom, the worms would still have plenty of dirt on top.

As far as a starter batch I just mean the worms to seed the farm. Generation zero if you will.

D
Dodie
nightcrawlers

nightcrawlers

you guys really know how to make a grown woman cry. ;) we don't have any kind of earth worm here in central Oregon. Would have to drive to K. Falls or to the valley to get any REAL worms or maybe Prineville. The soil here is just pumice and they don't like that so keep my supply in my refrigerator. Get a few weird looks from friends when they get something out of it and ask what is in that little box. ;) Doesn't botter us at all to have them in there and the worms get really excited when I take them out cause they get to go for a ride. :lol: Dodie :dance:

D
Dodie
Nightcrawlers

Nightcrawlers

Does anyone out there know what Nightcrawler eggs look like? I have mine in refer in wormkeeper box and when I change the bedding I find little round things that my hubbys says are eggs. I don't know and seeing as he is one that knows most everything, I leave them in there. Thanks for any help. Dodie

LadyoftheLake
LadyoftheLake
FishSchooler said:
You sure those arent earthworms? Nightcrawlers dont normally come out in the day, even if it is raining really hard... :think:
I gots a few foot longers.

Is there a difference? Will the fish notice?

LadyoftheLake
LadyoftheLake
Dodie said:
Does anyone out there know what Nightcrawler eggs look like? I have mine in refer in wormkeeper box and when I change the bedding I find little round things that my hubbys says are eggs. I don't know and seeing as he is one that knows most everything, I leave them in there. Thanks for any help. Dodie

Worm eggs? Do worms lay eggs?

H
Hawk
Dodie said:
you guys really know how to make a grown woman cry. ;) we don't have any kind of earth worm here in central Oregon. Would have to drive to K. Falls or to the valley to get any REAL worms or maybe Prineville. The soil here is just pumice and they don't like that so keep my supply in my refrigerator. Get a few weird looks from friends when they get something out of it and ask what is in that little box. ;) Doesn't botter us at all to have them in there and the worms get really excited when I take them out cause they get to go for a ride. :lol: Dodie :dance:

Y'all kin order a worm farm online......even in central Oregon..................................:lol::lol::lol:...........................:cool::cool::cool:

F
Fishtopher
LadyoftheLake said:
Worm eggs? Do worms lay eggs?

Earthworms do, absolutely.

H
Hawk
they don't look like chicken eggs.............................:lol::lol::lol:....................................:cool::cool::cool:.........................:shock::shock::shock:

D
Dodie
Eggs

Eggs

Well now, they just might be minature chicken eggs from a chicken that lays brown eggs. Good thinkin there buddy. Never even gave that a thought. Not sure how to crack one open to fry it tho. They are pretty small.
Think they were in there the last time I changed the bedding in the box. That was a few months ago. Probably worms didn't roll the eggs enough and the babies died. Will take them out if they are still there next time.
Dodie :dance:

LadyoftheLake
LadyoftheLake
Hawk said:
they don't look like chicken eggs.............................:lol::lol::lol:....................................:cool::cool::cool:.........................:shock::shock::shock:

...and probably not like Breakfast eggs either!!