Worms in Fish?

S

Shadelady

Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2009
Messages
154
Location
Lincoln City
went to Boiler Bay the other day and didn't catch, but a couple of guys had caught some sea trout and gave them to us. my Girlfriend cooked them up and when eating them found a worm in the fish... i wasn't here i didn't see it...

any thoughts?

we didn't eat the rest of them.
 
M

madoc

Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
78
In the fish, as in the muscle? Flat body with segments, round and tapered body? how big?

If it is in the muscle, it is a parasite. Just cook the fish properly, and there shouldn't be a problem, other than possibly being a little gross to look at. I doubt that I would continue to eat a fish if I found a worm in it, though.

If it is in the gills or organs, no problem, just get rid of those parts.
 
D

Drew9870

Banned User
Joined
Jan 23, 2009
Messages
1,066
Location
North Salem, Oregon
Freshwater Parasites

Freshwater Parasites

I have seen Tapeworms in Yellow Perch from Siltcoos, and TONS in the Sticklebacks from Crane Prairie, thats why the Sticklebacks are so fat.

I have also seen Red Worms (not harmful to humans) in Rainbows and Cutthroats from Mill Creek.

All of these parasites (and their eggs) should not be worried about after a thorough cooking.
 
F

FishSchooler

Active member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
1,785
Location
Oregon
I have found worms in fish too. They was my bait. :D
 
L

lechner

Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
48
Location
Portland, OR
Parasites aren't exclusive to fish, of course. As mentioned already, thoroughly cooking your meat will limit your risk of playing host to the little buggers.

Reminds me of a cute story about parasites: {fray} drugs - the worm within
 
F

FishSchooler

Active member
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
1,785
Location
Oregon
don't look at your veggies too closely.........:shock:
:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:
Be safe.
Barb

Dont look at some veggies. Period. :lol::shock::lol::shock::lol:
 
F

fish_4_all

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2008
Messages
413
Location
Aberdeen, WA
Bugs bugs and more bugs, don't look at the quality control standards for peanut butter.

Have eaten fish I have found worms in more times than I can even think about counting. Fresh water and salt water. Crustaceans too.

Cook everything until it is dead twice and no worries. :lol::whistle:
 
C

Chass

Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
29
Location
Marcola, OR
I just pull the worms out when I fillet the fish. They come right out of the meat. I've only ever found them in Ling cod. The older the fish, the more worms they have. Never had a problem with them.

Chass
ct
 
F

fishfreak13

New member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
26
No need to worry....

No need to worry....

Worms found in pacific coast fishes are not harmful and won't incubate in our organ systems. Yeah, it's a lil gross thinking about it, but you won't become a host. Mammalian parasites differ from fish parasites, even though they are nearly identical in some species.

A trick. After you fillet your fish, place the fillets in fresh water. If the worms are still alive they will leave the tissue in attempt to escape the fresh water. Any worms remaining cannot harm you. Like said in a previous post. Just a lil more protein.

You've probably eaten hundreds of them if you eat fish regularly. Don't worry bout it. Fish is delicious :)

Sincerely,

Your friendly local biologist
 
F

fourgotten

Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
179
Location
Eugene, OR
Worms found in pacific coast fishes are not harmful and won't incubate in our organ systems.

They can't incubate, but some can still survive (I'm thinking of Anisakis species) and bore through our tissue until they die or escape the body... Or am I completely incorrect in that?

OTOH, if you thoroughly cook your fish there's no worries... and if you decide to eat it raw, make sure to candle it to find any encysted worms... no problems...
 
F

fourgotten

Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
179
Location
Eugene, OR
went to Boiler Bay the other day and didn't catch, but a couple of guys had caught some sea trout and gave them to us. my Girlfriend cooked them up and when eating them found a worm in the fish... i wasn't here i didn't see it...

any thoughts?

we didn't eat the rest of them.

As was said, you're in no danger from the worms in the fish that you catch...as long as you cook them thoroughly... Allow me to copy'n'paste a post that I did on a related thread in another forum:

One of the most common parasites that you'll see in your fish are members of the genuses Anisakis or Pseudoterranova. They are roundworms that you'll find in the muscle tissue or viscera of many marine fish.

The life-cycle of these two genuses are quite similar and go something like this excerpt from the Roundworm Book of Genesis...

In the beginning, there was the Egg. When the Egg was received into the Water, it developed and soon hatched into the Larva. The Larva was eaten by the Crustacean and grew, and it was good.

The Crusacean was eaten by the Fish and the Larva migrated into the Flesh. (At this point, the larvae are infective to humans and marine mammals... this is the point where YOU will deal with these creatures.[Ed.])

The Fish or Squid was eaten by the Host, a pinniped (for Pseudoterranova) or a cetacean (for Anisakis) and thus was granted entry into the Great Holy Flesh wherein, the Larva molted and grew into the Roundworm.

The Roundworm mated and laid new eggs, which left the Host on a wave of excrement to meet with the Water and start the cycle anew.

Thus, in areas of pinniped or cetacean concentration, you are more likely to find these worms in your fish. If you wish to reduce your chances of meeting these worms, fish in places A.) there are few cetaceans (whales, dolphins, etc.) or pinnipeds (seals, sea lions, etc.) or B.) the fish do not often feed on crustaceans.

Otherwise... well... just cook 'em up with the rest of the fish and try not to think much about it...

Keep in mind that these round worms cannot complete their life cycle in a human host and will eventually die; however, they can bore their way through flesh before they do so, which can be rather painful for the host... So be sure to thoroughly cook your fish and, if you plan to eat it raw or in ceviche, candle cut strips of fish before eating or adding to raw fish recipes.
 
S

Seefood Man

Member
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
22
Location
Woodland, WA
Worms found in pacific coast fishes are not harmful and won't incubate in our organ systems. Yeah, it's a lil gross thinking about it, but you won't become a host. Mammalian parasites differ from fish parasites, even though they are nearly identical in some species.

A trick. After you fillet your fish, place the fillets in fresh water. If the worms are still alive they will leave the tissue in attempt to escape the fresh water. Any worms remaining cannot harm you. Like said in a previous post. Just a lil more protein.

You've probably eaten hundreds of them if you eat fish regularly. Don't worry bout it. Fish is delicious :)

Sincerely,

Your friendly local biologist

want to Bet??:lol:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
T

Troutier Bassier

Active member
Joined
Mar 27, 2009
Messages
2,357
Location
Troutdale, Oregon
whats with the
:lol::shock::lol::shock::lol::shock::lol::shock::lol::shock::lol:
THing???
 
F

fish_4_all

Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2008
Messages
413
Location
Aberdeen, WA
Fresh water works for the ones you can see. If you are squeamish and ever want to eat fish again don't ever put a thin slice under a microscope!
 
Top Bottom