Worms anyone?

F
FishSchooler
I learned somethin yesterday about worms. Fall-now, I have been trying to look for worms after it rains. Nothing on the street besides a few loners. Where were they? I found out that worms, like fish, love cover. Their cover isn't underground when it rains though because the worms will drown. So when they come up, guess where they hide? Under all the leaves and stuff on the street. I just kicked over like 6 leaves with a few twigs and piled under were at least 15 nice sized worms. I have started a small worm farm and I think it is working. New holes are forming and sometimes, i can see a worm working its way by the side. Anyone else make portable worm farms?

M
mikeredding
I had a huge worm farm made from a double sided deep sink when I was a kid. I sold them for 75 cents a dozen. Cheapest in town! I picked them out of my yard at night with a flashlight.

F
FishSchooler
mikeredding said:
I had a huge worm farm made from a double sided deep sink when I was a kid. I sold them for 75 cents a dozen. Cheapest in town! I picked them out of my yard at night with a flashlight.

How did you keep the population up to sell by the dozens?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Fishshcooler try this: Get some tracing paper, or really thin paper and color the whole sheet with a red marker. Not too dark because you still need plenty of light to shine through. If you can find some see through red plastic that would be best. Go find some grass tonight and use the light to find them. Seeing as the light is red they have a much harder time detecting it. You better have a big bucket!!!

M
mikeredding
GraphiteZen said:
Fishshcooler try this: Get some tracing paper, or really thin paper and color the whole sheet with a red marker. Not too dark because you still need plenty of light to shine through. If you can find some see through red plastic that would be best. Go find some grass tonight and use the light to find them. Seeing as the light is red they have a much harder time detecting it. You better have a big bucket!!!

Good idea Zen. I had duct tape over the flashlight lens with a very small hole in it. The very small beam of light didn't bother them.

M
mikeredding
FishSchooler said:
How did you keep the population up to sell by the dozens?

Lots of watering the lawn and night time picking.:lol:

M
mgdguy
I think I remember Harry and Lloyd working on worm farms a few years back ;)

F
FishSchooler
GraphiteZen said:

They really come out at night in huge amounts? I'll have to try that, its almost getting dark! Would coloring some food wrap red work? Then you could just stick it onto the light, or maybe tape is better. :cool:

H
Hawk
Little Bro, u kin cut newspaper into very narrow strips, dampen it & put in yer worm box.........................:D

keep worms where it is cool, but not anywhere near freezing.

u kin google it & get lots of info about a worm farm. Find out how to raise Pileworms. You could make a fortune if they are allowed in Oregon...........:D

In the summer i've kept worms alive in the frig lettuce box fer 2-3 months.

W
Webwader
Worm flashlight

Worm flashlight

Get some tracing paper, or really thin paper and color the whole sheet with a red marker. Not too dark because you still need plenty of light to shine through. If you can find some see through red plastic that would be best.
Why not just use a red LED flashlight?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Webwader said:
Why not just use a red LED flashlight?

Wow good thinking.. They didn't have those when I was a kid.....

F
FishFinger
Though you think me cold and slimy
I've got a nice home
I've tasted your best guacamole
And siesta'd at noon in the cool of the soil

But then the rains come, and the ground fills with water
And I must come up to the surface for air...
Then I was plucked from the wet slime
And dropped in tequila
I lay in a stupor for some time
And one fine night I was gulped down in a shot
A worm's life can be easy If he lay low, out of sight

CTD

W
Webwader
Wow good thinking.. They didn't have those when I was a kid.....
When I was a kid flashlights were powered by whale oil. :lol::lol::tongue:

F
FishSchooler
Those little buggers are FAST! I only got one so far out of the like 15 giant ones I saw. They are HUGE! The one I got is prob 7-8 inches long and at least .25 inches thick. Only their heads are out right now, so I'll give it another try after another half an hour. didn't see as much as I expected. They are hard to see too. worms and curled up leaves look exactly alike. I actually snatched up a big rotten leaf thinking it was a keeper. Lots of other critters out their too, slugs, catipallars, weird gooey blobs.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
hahah.. they are fast. Ask your folks if they have any used coffee grinds and throw a bit of that out there.

M
mikeredding
GraphiteZen said:
hahah.. they are fast. Ask your folks if they have any used coffee grinds and throw a bit of that out there.
Careful for the ones that like to lay on the dog doo!:lol:

F
FishSchooler
GraphiteZen said:

No one drinks coffee in this house... only mocha ( that mix kind)... those arent really coffee grinds...