World record rainbow trout

P

pdx89

big fish, no question about it... but i have doubts i would eat that fish if i caught it... something is messed up with it

T

Troutier Bassier

Only 12 INchs smaller then my PB. :shock:
Thats thing probally ate a lot of hatchery food.

T

Troutier Bassier

Btw, do you see the hole from the needle for the steriods they gave it? Its on the bottom of the fish, Above the middle fin?

P

pdx89

good eye lol.. i doubt that the needle hole.. but the fish sure has a good doze of radiation:D:lol:

A

autofisher

It's a result of about half a million hatchery fish escaping the hatchery before it was time. They are a sterile fish that doesn't have the instinct to mate, therefore it's main concentration is on feeding. The fish that his brother caught two years ago is a result of the same escape

S

steelhead_stalkers

From what I have heard this happens in nature, but very rarely. The world record steelhead was caught out in the Ocean I believe and was probably out there the whole time eating because it had no reason to go back to the river it was born in. Probably most of the world record fish are sterile fish that happened naturally at birth.

F

fishin_fool

95% of all the pellet heads that Idaho stocks in our lakes over here are Triploids 99% of them don't make it past 12 or 13 inches just like all other pellet heads they are caught and eaten... Yes there are holdovers and these fish grow a little faster not because their radiated but because they don't have the stress of mating all they focus on is eating... most of the hold overs reach that 20 in. mark very quickly and tremendous fighters and leapers... I have caught many in the 20 to 25 inch range they are brusiers and will strip an ultra light if your not careful....

P

pdx89

or in other words, thats the kind of fish folks buy in the store...full on steroids, fish crack, and radiation:shock:

B

bigfootfish

Big Rubber Rainbow

Big Rubber Rainbow

:lol::rolleyes:Maybe it's just a big rubber trout.:D

T

Troutier Bassier

Why is it Trout that are Abused like this? Why not Catfish? or Bass?

B

beaverfan

or in other words, thats the kind of fish folks buy in the store...full on steroids, fish crack, and radiation:shock:

Nope none of that crap, just fish. How the heck are they gonna feed a fish steroids that is living in the wild? They don't plant them huge, they plant them when they are the same age/size as any other trout from a hatchery. They are JUST a sterile fish. I hate seeing people so disrespectful. If you don't like them then don't freakin' fish for them!

Last edited:
P

pdx89

Nope none of that crap, just fish. How the heck are they gonna feed a fish steroids that is living in the wild? They don't plant them huge, they plant them when they are the same age/size as any other trout from a hatchery. They are JUST a sterile fish. I hate seeing people so disrespectful. If you don't like them then don't freakin' fish for them!

and here you come and turn small talk into big talk..

its not like we 'fish' for them and catch them on normal basis... besides if it was that normal, then we would see fish like that way more often

T

TTFishon

ODFW plant triploid trout here in Oregon too. The lake this record trout came from is huge. I believe it's somewhere around 100,000 acres which is huge. Big lake equals big fish. Just look at the rainbows from the Upper Klamath Lake.

B

beaverfan

Creating sterile fish in a hatchery environment is just about the best way to make sure that one species doesn't overpopulate, also to prevent hatchery fish from spawning with native species. Makes perfect sense to me. Pretty dang smart actually! Plus it provides excellent recreation for everyone!

T

TTFishon

Creating sterile fish in a hatchery environment is just about the best way to make sure that one species doesn't overpopulate, also to prevent hatchery fish from spawning with native species. Makes perfect sense to me. Pretty dang smart actually! Plus it provides excellent recreation for everyone!

Makes sense to me too. I just wish ODFW would change the regs in some waters making it illegal to harvest planters smaller than 15 inches but still plant them when they are 8 to 10 inches. That way they'd have some flavor and fight to them.

Top Bottom