Wood shampoo

C
Cohosanders
:lol:Here you go folks:lol:

[YOUTUBE]hKFria-ZPao[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
F
Fishtopher
:lol:Good tutorial. What'd ya say? 3rd fish of the year?

C
Cohosanders
Fishtopher said:
:lol:Good tutorial. What'd ya say? 3rd fish of the year?

3rd on the tag. So far 2 smolts 2 Natives and 3 hatchery.1 lost and???bites:D

F
Fishtopher
Heck ya!
How many hours ya think ya have on the river so far this year?

F
fourgotten
That's a very strange topic for an instructional video... *chuckle*

I've been avoiding the wood shampoo for the most part, in favor of a new (to me) technique that seems to be doing well: ike jime.

Basically, the idea is to sever the spine and the vein that follows just below it instead of bonking the fish. Takes a time or two to learn where the vertebrae meet the skull (Just inside the operculum, or gill cover) so that you can get a knife in there. Also sever the other end of the spine and drop the fish into cold water to bleed out. If done right, the fish never goes into full rigor and the finished product is much higher quality.

I did a side-by-side comparison with another guy's fish, caught around the same time. His was stiff as a board, while mine was still supple as it was in life.

Maybe I'll post a video of the next one :lol:

M
metalfisher76
Cohosanders said:
3rd on the tag. So far 2 smolts 2 Natives and 3 hatchery.1 lost and???bites:D

cool man!! Hey was that an E.C. fish or clack?? Just wonderin:D

J
jeffcycles
fourgotten said:

I'd like to see this! It sounds very interesting.

A
adambomb
fourgotten said:
That's a very strange topic for an instructional video... *chuckle*

I've been avoiding the wood shampoo for the most part, in favor of a new (to me) technique that seems to be doing well: ike jime.

Basically, the idea is to sever the spine and the vein that follows just below it instead of bonking the fish. Takes a time or two to learn where the vertebrae meet the skull (Just inside the operculum, or gill cover) so that you can get a knife in there. Also sever the other end of the spine and drop the fish into cold water to bleed out. If done right, the fish never goes into full rigor and the finished product is much higher quality.

I did a side-by-side comparison with another guy's fish, caught around the same time. His was stiff as a board, while mine was still supple as it was in life.

I'm a fan of this technique, its more instantaneous, and when done right, there is no suffering. I have bonked a few fish that required two or three bonks. I have been made fun of for carrying a hickory hammer handle in my back pack, but on more than one occasion, there has not been a rock or other blunt instrument available. I especially prefer the "spinal slice" for smaller fish.

B
beaverfan
This was the wrong thread to sit down to read while I ate my bowl of Spaghettios!

T
Thuggin4Life
thats a cool video and a nice fish. i like to rip the kills out by hand and punch em in the head enough to stun em. in that order. lots of blood.

F
fourgotten
beaverfan said:
This was the wrong thread to sit down to read while I ate my bowl of Spaghettios!

Could have been worse... at least it wasn't about Anisakis-species worms...

anisakis2tz5.jpg

:D

H
HARDWOODFLOORGUY
wow,wood shampoo and gill slice.....nice! torture that fish.i would throw some ammonium nitrate in it's mouth too and then drive my truck over it's head:lol:
just kidding nothing wrong with a little whack in the head.i think you should send this video to the lovely people at p.e.t.a though just to watch them squirm.:D

T
troutmasta
Cohosanders said:
:lol:Here you go folks:lol:

[YOUTUBE]hKFria-ZPao[/YOUTUBE]

cut the gills first. give it a good 30 sec to a min hold it straight up and let it drain. Then give it a good WAM. it'll twitch for about 5 sec and spew the rest of it blood as it convulses. Thats how you Get er' done. ;)