Wood drift boat oar issue

D
Dizle
I picked up a pair of gull 9 foot ash oars with tip protectors for a good price, I noticed that one oar has a crack at the top of the blade going with the grain about 7 inches towards the blade tip, is this repairable or am I out of luck?

ive read that it can be epoxied and varnished,how well would this hold?

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Repair and use it as the spare oar.

J
JeannaJigs
I definitely wouldn't rely on it as anything other than a spare. Like fish on fred said, repair it and spare it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

my2labs
my2labs
Check woodenboatpeople.com.

I saw a thread there about repairing oars though I did not read it. I'd bet there will be an answer there if you look.

B
BaldTexan
if the split is going with the grain I personally would glue it, clamp it, refinish and re-use it. It needs to a clean joint and clamped well to make a strong repair. I'd trust it if I repaired it myself..but I do stuff like that :)

D
DrTheopolis
Comes down to "what's it worth to you?"

While good oars are expensive, drift boats are expensive (to an extent) as well. Busting an oar in a tricky rapid is dangerous.

Another vote for "spare." Although bringing standard 9 footers as spares is kind of lame, it goes back to "expense." The collapsible ones are the bomb, but they aren't super-cheap, especially for something that you'll likely never use.

So again, it's "what's it worth?" But using a shaky oar is something of a safety issue.

Just my overpriced $0.02.