Wolf Creek and upper Nehalem River fishing

F
Fred
I’ve been driving past the Nehalem and Wolf creek on the sunset highway and I’m planning to fish them. Anybody advice on lures and flies?

troutdude
troutdude
For what specie(s)?

Reactions: Fred
F
Fred
troutdude said:
For what specie(s)?
Cutthroat and rainbow trout. I don’t know if salmon and steelhead are up there yet or if it’s legal to fish for them there.

troutdude
troutdude
The ODFW reg book indicates that Wolf Creek is closed for any trout, steelhead, or salmon fishing.

Since you've asked several similar questions; I suggest getting a hard copy of the reg book. Which is available at any shop where fishing gear is sold. And/or look up the regs online. Game Wardens/State Troopers who enforce the laws...EXPECT you to know the regulations. Before you venture out. There are a variety of regs for the main stem of the Nehalem; and for the North Fork Nehalem.

Reactions: Fred
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Reactions: Fred and troutdude
P
pinstriper
Online is the way to go. Regs can (and do) change during the season, and whipping out the magazine when you are being ticketed will most likely not buy you any slack.

Understanding the regulations is like doing your taxes.
- the rules are complex and often seemingly arbitrary
- you still gotta do them

"Officer, these guys on the internet said...." will REALLY not get you any slack.

Reactions: Fred and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
pinstriper said:
"Officer, these guys on the internet said...." will REALLY not get you any slack.

True dat. Which is why I recommended reading the regs for himself. We are always glad to help interpret. But you really need to know them for yourself.

Case in point: several years ago my BIL was nook fishing, on the Alsea near Tidewater. Upon take out at the ramp he was approached by a LEO (law enforcement OFFicer) whom asked, "Whatcha got there" as he looked at the fish in my BIL's hands. My BIL began to reply with..."well, OFFicer, I think it's"...BAM! He was ticketed on the spot! For failure to identify WHICH SPECIE of Salmon that he had--BEFORE pulling it into his boat. Ergo a fisherman / woman is REQUIRED to clearly know the differences between Nooks and Ho's.

Carry on...and tight lines. TD

troutdude
troutdude
troutdude said:
True dat. Which is why I recommended reading the regs for himself. We are always glad to help interpret. But you really need to know them for yourself.

Case in point: several years ago my BIL was nook fishing, on the Alsea near Tidewater. Upon take out at the ramp he was approached by a LEO (law enforcement OFFicer) whom asked, "Whatcha got there" as he looked at the fish in my BIL's hands. My BIL began to reply with..."well, OFFicer, I think it's"...BAM! He was ticketed on the spot! For failure to identify WHICH SPECIE of Salmon that he had--BEFORE pulling it into his boat. Ergo a fisherman / woman is REQUIRED to clearly know the differences between Nooks and Ho's.

Carry on...and tight lines. TD

P.S. I've just realized that I've hijacked your thread @Fred. Sorry. Let's return to answering his question about best lures & flies; for when the stream does open for trout on the 22nd. I vote for Thomas Buoyant spoons, Mepps spinners, Woolly Buggers and Teeny Nymphs.

F
Fred
troutdude said:
P.S. I've just realized that I've hijacked your thread @Fred. Sorry. Let's return to answering his question about best lures & flies; for when the stream does open for trout on the 22nd. I vote for Thomas Buoyant spoons, Mepps spinners, Woolly Buggers and Teeny Nymphs.
Thanks for the advice, I got some of the lures you recommended.

Wolf Creek and upper Nehalem River fishing

Reactions: troutdude
F
Fred
Jeez that pictures kinda big lol

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Little Cleo's are good too!