Withy Lake??

O
Outdoor_Myers
Withy Lake - 10 acres; 3 miles west of Amity on Amity Bellevue Road. Largemouth bass, bluegill, bullhead.

Does anyone know about this lake?

Y
yakker2
I looked a couple of times for it.talked to people in area and they never heard of it. its on private property with an agreement with ofw of good standing by fisherman.its like skookum and horse shoe lake in st. paul closed-listed as warm water fisheries that are outdated listings.I never called ofw to find where withy is. google maps show a harrison lake and a bigger no name body of water that might be it. maybe someday when I go out that way again I'll try to find them.

F
fishtales
Is it a lake or a pond? It sounds an awful lot like a pond close by that the locals call The Donkey Pond.

Y
yakker2
ofw calls it a lake. my 8th edition fishing in oregon spells it withee lake and says after a big flood you can find all yamhill species in here.

F
fishtales
Yeah it is kind of over by the green bridge.

Y
yakker2
so is it open to the public? and how do you get to it?

S
SailCat
I have fished Withy many times. I would describe it as a pond as it is in the middle of farm land and is only 10 acres. It has been many years since I've visited and last time I was nearby, it appeared the access was no longer open to the public. Please correct this if inaccurate

As far as fishing is concerned, it is subject to challenging conditions if there's much of a wind blowing as there are only low-lying fields which provide little protection. There is a population of smallish bluegill and brown bullhead as well as a few largemouth which are just as small. The only reason my buddy and I used to fish it is that it's shallow and warmed prior to other warm-water lakes and ponds.

It is definitely not the Donkey Pond which is private and well-patrolled by some very large , local owners.

Withy isn't really worth the effort even if it was open and couldn't stand up to pressure if it was and the location well known.

Best to all.

Michael

F
fishtales
I must have mixed up the ponds. As the guy above me said a lot of that land is private land where the owner is the one who decides weather or not he opends up to the public.

Y
yakker2
didn't figure a 10 acres to be a honey hole. just wanted to see it. there was supposed to be a sign so I thought it would be easy to find.

S
SailCat
There was a sign many years ago but it has long since come down. 'Sorry to be a little elusive but no good could come from pinpointing this tiny, shallow, private pond.

@fishtales - I've done the same thing. There are many farm ponds in the valley, most all of which require permission, sometimes written, to access them. Ask your friends and neighbors. I have networked access several times in the past.

Most importantly, if you pack it in, pack it out. Make it a goal to leave the area cleaner than you found it. The alternative is losing access forever. I've seen it happen too many times.

I was born in McMinnville and it was was my home town until recently (now in Tualatin due to business) so I'm familiar with the area.

B
Billc
They took the sign down years ago and it is closed I think. The lake is south of the road between Amity and the river bridge(no longer green) just after the road drops down into the bottom land. It has a few trees around it so you can't see the water. There is a house above it on the top of the bank. I caught a few bluegill there a long time ago.
Bill

O
Outdoor_Myers
Thanks for the info guys I'll have to find it and check it out and talk to the dnr If they still stock it but the land owners dont allow fishing then the dnr is wasting their money that can be spent better elsewhere.