Wire for spinners

F
fishin_fool
Having a little trouble finding wire for spinners without having to go online to purchase is there another type or name for spinner wire that can be purchased from somewhere other than a tackle shop? thanks all

mike

O
osmosis
302 or 304 stainless straight wire, in the diameter you want, and with the tempering you want. there are plenty of places to order it online, problem is a lot of the places make you buy in bulk to make it worth their while to manufacture it. I've seen several places that require an order of 50lbs or more to bother filling the order.

B.c. angling post will ship it to you if you can't find any other place.

F
fishin_fool
thanks osmosis any ideas what kind of store front might carry wire like that?

O
osmosis
it isn't going to be at regular hardware stores, you need to look for helicopter manufacturers, or places that machine and manufacture steel components for other companies.
Your best bet is through online research to find a local place.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I know you said "not from a tackle store" but if I remember right isn't Parma close to Boise? Boise has a Cabelas store. I was just there last month looking at all the great stuff. I order my wire from Cabelas and they ship it to my house. (No Cabelas here in Oregon) Might want to check it out and it alway worth the trip to see all the stuff they have. ;)

Troutski
Troutski
Airports

Airports

Try your local airport, that is where I get my wire. Find the parts dept - inexpensive and pure stanless steel. Most likely have it onhand, they sell it by the pound...

Chuck

F
fishin_fool
Irishrover said:
I know you said "not from a tackle store" but if I remember right isn't Parma close to Boise? Boise has a Cabelas store. I was just there last month looking at all the great stuff. I order my wire from Cabelas and they ship it to my house. (No Cabelas here in Oregon) Might want to check it out and it alway worth the trip to see all the stuff they have. ;)

I absolutely love Cabela's catalog, I have been to the store in boise several times unfortunately they carry a very limited supply here at this store... From my understanding the store over here is a new type of store front Cabela's is doing, it carries about 1/10 of the product that all the others do to see if its worth while to open more stores like it around the Nation.

The section here for sinker making and wire forming accessories is about 2 foot by 4 foot very limited supply with the majority of the pegs empty, no slot for french blades, wire, or bead bodies... All they carry are colorado blades and willow leaf blades... Thanks all

F
fishin_fool
Osmosis, thanks for all your help I knew i could count on your help you have been such great help can't thank you enough...

Troutski said:
Try your local airport, that is where I get my wire. Find the parts dept - inexpensive and pure stanless steel. Most likely have it onhand, they sell it by the pound...

Chuck

Troutski, Thanks a lot I appreciate the help... I will try the local airport here and every airport between here and boise...

Can't say enough about the guys and gals here on this forum I wish we had one over here that was like this, If any of you are over here Just send me a pm when your coming and maybe we can set up a day for some fishin... Thank you all so much...

Mike

F
fishin_fool
picked up some wire today don't know if its 302 or 304 stainless but got a stick from a local airport... Awesome thanks Trouski for the info... What I did find out was the wire I got was stainless welding rod which should also be available at any welding supply shop... diameter seems right very close to same size holes in bead body's I have... Thanks again all who helped...

Mike

Troutski
Troutski
Your very welcome...

Your very welcome...

fishin_fool said:
picked up some wire today don't know if its 302 or 304 stainless but got a stick from a local airport... Awesome thanks Trouski for the info... What I did find out was the wire I got was stainless welding rod which should also be available at any welding supply shop... diameter seems right very close to same size holes in bead body's I have... Thanks again all who helped...

Mike

If you have any questions at all on making spinners, tuning them, sizing them or any thing at all - Just ask, there are plenty of anglers here that can help, we have all been through the experience curve. The coolest thing of all is when you catch your first fish on your on design...priceless
Tight lines...

Chuck

T
Troutier Bassier
I know Fishermans Marine has it at there store, My dad bought a lot of them from there.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
I know Fishermans Marine has it at there store, My dad bought a lot of them from there.

He said other than tackle shops...

Doesn't that kind of wire come in a spool? If so, wouldnt it be curved/make the spinner curved?

O
osmosis
You're welcome, I'm glad to help!

Avoid coiled wire!

F
fishin_fool
There was also coiled like you would see for solder but this wire was stainless rod like they use for gas welding straight about 3 feet longand I'm gonna guess the dia. is somewhere between .029 and .033 made a couple yesterday and turned really nice... Am however going to get a pair of leadmasters or maybe even a boggs... Thanks again for all the help

Mike

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:
You're welcome, I'm glad to help!

Avoid coiled wire!

All the airplane stuff wire I saw on the internet came in a big spool like your line does

O
osmosis
the 3-4 ft pieces of straight wire is how mine comes. they ship it in a pvc pipe to keep it straight. Sounds like you got the right stuff.
I have to apologize - you're now going to spend WAY too much money building your own spinners. Its viciously adictive!

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:
the 3-4 ft pieces of straight wire is how mine comes. they ship it in a pvc pipe to keep it straight. Sounds like you got the right stuff.
I have to apologize - you're now going to spend WAY too much money building your own spinners. Its viciously adictive!

I havent been able to go to BC Angling once yet...

Sorry, but I'll be blowing all that money that I will make from selling the spinners on an electric violin. ;)

No one wants really cheap (compared to store) GDF's?

R
Razz
Troutski said:
If you have any questions at all on making spinners, tuning them, sizing them or any thing at all - Just ask, there are plenty of anglers here that can help, we have all been through the experience curve. The coolest thing of all is when you catch your first fish on your on design...priceless
Tight lines...

Chuck

Check MSC or Mc Master Carr wire/s/s spring steel.also check the pliers:dance:

G
GDBrown
I get mine at ACE Hardware stores. most have just what I need.

GD