Winters

K
Kais
Is fishing for stream trout in the winter easier or harder than summer?
Im dying to get some fish on the fly

D
Drew9870
Think of it like this, if it helps catch fish in Oregon, it's usually illegal, so considering (most) Streams are closed after Oct. 31st, I would suspect that ODFW believes this is a prime time.

I would have to say Trout fishing is better when the water is clearer, atleast thats my personal experience. It's a bit harder when the water is stained/muddy.

Last edited:
B
benkearney
In my limited experience I think its a little harder, at least with dry flies, because you don't have the hatches that occur during spring/late spring/early summer.

troutdude
troutdude
If you scan the regs carefully, you will still find some open streams during the winter.

H
halibuthitman
Drew9870 said:
Think of it like this, if it helps catch fish in Oregon, it's usually illegal, so considering (most) Streams are closed after Oct. 31st, I would suspect that ODFW believes this is a prime time.

I would have to say Trout fishing is better when the water is clearer, atleast thats my personal experience. It's a bit harder when the water is stained/muddy.
streams are not stocked and much more fragile bio-mass, requiring time to rebound, also most upper tributary creeks and streams are the spawning grounds of native steelhead and salmon, in their weakened state catching them could kill them, and they are easy targets and easy to snag in small water... so no one gets to fish there.... and odf is not against you... as a matter of fact, they are in your favour to a fault.. so if you can't catch a fish blame Bill Hertzog.. or buzz, or Jed... but fish and game actually put over a million stockers and smolt out there for you to work with... and there is still the ones god made also. oh.. and to answer the question... trout are usally more difficult to catch in the winter in streams that are snow fed as the water temp drops their metabolism and many back out of the rivers and into lakes, spring fed rivers and creeks tend to be an exeption to this rule.- Good fishin-

J
jeffcycles
Kais said:
Is fishing for stream trout in the winter easier or harder than summer?
Im dying to get some fish on the fly

As with steelhead, water temperature greatly affects trout activity. When water temps drop below 45 degrees, fish aggressiveness begins to slow down. Fish are much less aggressive when water temps fall into the mid 30's.

K
Kais
Cool thanks guys, and ya i found some fishable trout water in the reg book.
I think i will go with a nymph then if i fly fish.