Winter trout fishing

Shockeyc

Hey I am going to hagg lake tomorrow and bringing a drift boat with no motor what' the fishing like during now I have never been there before and what tip would u give me thank u guys

troutdude

The trout will be in the top 10', of the water. So flat lining, about 100' behind the boat, will be the ticket. Troll closer to the shoreline, and head over the drops OFF's, where the creeks flow into the lake. In the yellow areas.

Edit: Whoops; just saw that you have to motor. So unless you want to row a lot; flat lining won't work. So I'd suggest sitting anchored on top of, the drop OFF's. And cast lures.

Shockeyc

Yes I went didn' put my boat in water really windy from my drift boat with no motor and no fish man fished off c dock where a guy was slayin them and didn't get one so much for the long drive but had fun

troutdude

Yeah it was awfully windy, for a drifter. Plunking bait, at the C dock area, would've been productive. Is that how the other fisherman, was successful?

I tried just that Saturday afternoon for about 2 hours, no luck. I was plunking right next to C dock area with powerbait, got a few bumps but no fish. How far off the bottom should I be fishing, I think wasn't up enough, my leader was about 3 feet off the bottom.

troutdude

I usually go 3-4' OFF of, the bottom. With a barrel shaped, slip sinker. Maybe you needed to plop your bait, closer to shore? To be "shallower". Or raise, or lower, your OFFering where it was plopped?

Pay close attention to how the "catchers", are set up. Then copy them, as close as you can.

Thank you for the clarification Troutdude, that's exactly what I was doing, 3' OFF of the bottom and I started by casting as far out as I could, then I worked my way back every 15 minutes or so. Time and weather were not working in my favor, or I would have tried to change things up. The only fish I saw landed was from C dock and the guy was casting straight out, so he was going pretty far. The fish he got were nice and fat though, healthy looking!

troutdude

The other way to fish, at various depths, is with a sliding bobber. I prefer Thule, made from Balsa wood. Just thread a bobber stop first, onto your main line. Then add a plastic bead. Then thread the line through the bobber (top end first). Crimp on a small split shot; about 2' above the hook. To weight down, your Power Bait/Power Eggs (or other bait). And adjust the bobber stopper, for the depth.

You can also churn--and cover a lot of water--with a Little Cleo spoon, and trailer. Remove the hook, from the spoon. Add 8-12" of leader, and a hook. Rig the hook w/ Berkley Mice Tail(s). Cast and retrieve, at various speeds. I learned this, from a fellow OFFer. Whose moniker escapes me, at the moment.

Top Bottom