Winter sturgeon fishing

M
Marvin's Guide Service
Hey lets talk about som sturgeon fishing, there is some great action for sturgeon all winter long!

fishing right in down town Portland Oregon.

S
STURGEON FEAR
ya this weekend will be my 3rd trip in a row down there been nonstop action when u find them

H
halibuthitman
The mult channel should be getting real good for keepers!!

F
Fishtopher
just wondering what you all use for bait this time of year....im always out of shad and smelt by now, so that leaves me using squid, sandshrimp, and whatever fish i can catch for bait...anyone use roe for gators?:think:

H
halibuthitman
Fishtopher said:
just wondering what you all use for bait this time of year....im always out of shad and smelt by now, so that leaves me using squid, sandshrimp, and whatever fish i can catch for bait...anyone use roe for gators?:think:
yep, I only use herring..always and if im competing with a lot of other boats I add spawn sac filled with shad roe and some razer clam smelly jelly, this set-up will usally shut down the other poles in the boat unless I do it to all of them, you can pick any bait you want, and if you get on fish your gonna catch... occasionaly I have seen squid just kill on a spot.. but as a rule if there are fish under your boat.. and you have bait... your gonna catch them. I just got tired of having 256 different concoctions of bait in my boat, always changing, up, down up down.... you will notice if you go fishing with a guide they have the poles in the water,,, instantly, and they will stay in the water any possible moment they can, no matter what you are fishing for.... catching fish is a time scenario... on any river or lake on a certain day it takes a certain number of hours or minutes per fish.. a per hook average.. the longer gear is in the water the more likely success will be, if the sturgeon arent eatin harring where im fishing, I move to a neiborhood where they are eating herring. The bait game is over for me. but now of course 63 guys just read this and think its ridiculous... hmmm fishing, what a cruel mistress!

M
Marvin's Guide Service
I like to use sandshrimp this time of year. smelt is good if you have it.

H
halibuthitman
Im gonna kinda amend my earlier statment, these things I have found true on the columbia and mult channel, of course during the shad run at bonneville things would be obvious in that scenario... and im sure other spots are the same...

F
FishKiller23
Ive never used roe. But my favorite bait is squid and shrimp with a nightcrawler.

O
osmosis
Sturgeon can be a plague when backbouncing eggs for salmon, they love 'em.

F
Fishtopher
osmosis said:
Sturgeon can be a plague when backbouncing eggs for salmon, they love 'em.

We still up for a Gator trip, or do I gotta pay to fish with ya now?;):)

T
The Nothing
fishing has been spotty at best south of downtown, but I don't expect that to last much longer. I've seen several 4-5 footers jumping at sunrise the last few mornings. Let me tell you how impressive that is when they're right next to a kayak!

I'm a herring/anchovie fan as well, though squid seems to be more preductive so far this season.

S
STURGEON FEAR
my hot bait has been refroze anchovies for some reason they like them better than the fresh ones

S
STURGEON FEAR
i think u were fishing just belowe me on sat just above st.johns bridge. was that u???