Winter steelies are coming and I could use a fishing buddy

T
taconight2night
I have been watching a lot of steelhead videos filmed in Oregon and Washington on youtube lately and I have most certainly caught the bug! I've been watching vids from a group called fishingaddictsnw which is a group of dudes who film steelhead videos in OR and WA. Check them out if you get a chance, perhaps some of those guys are on here... I live in Eugene and have been slowly gearing up on floats, jigs, waders, and plan on buying a Lamiglas float rod soon. My plan is to head west come late Dec and do some serious exploring on the coastal rivers and streams. I'd love to find some spots/stretches with monster steelhead and no other anglers just like in those videos. Where the heck are those vids filmed!? Anywho, if anybody else is in the same boat and wants to pitch-in on gas, hit me up and lets hike in to some water and float some jigs this winter.

I
Iki Jime
I don't have experience to contribute, but I'm good for pitching in for gas money. I'm in Springfield and always want to learn- never went after Steelies so far, but landed 3 salmon this fall... and loved it.

James

T
taconight2night
Great! I encourage you to keep in touch, James. As I mentioned before, my main goal is to find those "secret spots" that are a pain to get to but have no other anglers. So if you are down to do some literal exploring and hiking/climbing down into places, lets find those suckers!

S
Satchel
I'm in

I'm in

taconight2night said:
Great! I encourage you to keep in touch, James. As I mentioned before, my main goal is to find those "secret spots" that are a pain to get to but have no other anglers. So if you are down to do some literal exploring and hiking/climbing down into places, lets find those suckers!

I live outside of Portland but I'd love to learn with you. Thanks.

S
sapo
I think their videos are mainly on coastal streams and rivers..although I have a friend who says they are complete losers in real life with no respect..apparently they pushed him out of a hole and low holed him a bunch, but their vids are great lol!! I'm gonna try to find some cool winter steelhead streams this winter too

T
thundercleez
Hey I live out on the coast and I like fishing partners. Hit me up if you want to fish the couth coast like the Coquille, Coos, Chetco, etc. I'm game to do some exploring by Portland and I definitely want to hit the Siletz and Alsea this winter.

T
troutmasta
How bout we all hook up in early Jan or late Dec depending on the rain, some where on the wilson. [MENTION=3611]TimberTodd[/MENTION] was going to do this two years ago but it got snowed out. I'd love to share some tips and learn some too. The Wilson is big and by then should have some steel. We could always pack into the North Fork Nehalem sooner but its crowded! The Wilson with fish would be a good place to learn.

H
Hookset
I would be down for that masta.

Casting Call
Casting Call
taconight2night;my main goal is to find those "secret spots" that are a pain to get to but have no other anglers. So if you are down to do some literal EXPLORING and HIKING/CLIMBING DOWN INTO PLACES said:
Hi! Taco....2night. "-U-Tube all you can" about the Salmonberry river(tillamook). Open Nov 1 to March 31. Check the regs,check my profile I do a lot of repelling. Remember under most train tresels runs the river. Good Luck Tony

Last edited:
I
Iki Jime
What types of techniques do y'all use for steelhead? If you let me know, I'll gear up before then so I can fish the same way everyone else is.

James

P
pinstriper
ZenAntiHero3374 said:
What types of techniques do y'all use for steelhead? If you let me know, I'll gear up before then so I can fish the same way everyone else is.

James

I run eggs under bobber from the bank, and I've recently gone to a bobber and jig with a pink plastic worm and also drifting a blue fox spinner in the #4 range.

None of that works worth a damn, by the way, so when I want to catch a fish I send a TXT to Tanner. I've never not caught a fish in his boat.

B
BaldTexan
Lol. I like your strategy Pinstriper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
ChezJfrey
troutmasta said:
How bout we all hook up in early Jan or late Dec depending on the rain, some where on the wilson. @<a href="http://www.oregonfishingforum.com/member.php?u=3611" target="_blank">TimberTodd</a> was going to do this two years ago but it got snowed out. I'd love to share some tips and learn some too. The Wilson is big and by then should have some steel. We could always pack into the North Fork Nehalem sooner but its crowded! The Wilson with fish would be a good place to learn.

Ping me about this if it happens...I'd be down for some Wilson action. I'll bring some pink worms :)

[video=youtube;Sg2Bc_-U4pw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg2Bc_-U4pw[/video]

I
Iki Jime
pinstriper said:
I run eggs under bobber from the bank, and I've recently gone to a bobber and jig with a pink plastic worm and also drifting a blue fox spinner in the #4 range.

None of that works worth a damn, by the way, so when I want to catch a fish I send a TXT to Tanner. I've never not caught a fish in his boat.

LOL @ the detailed description, just to say that it doesn't work.

I'm up for learning from anyone.

James

M
mtudela97
Winter steelies are coming and I could use a fishing buddy

I too would be down for finding those honey holes.

B
Big3d
I caught my first winter steel in late november 2013 on a blue fox. This year, I will be trying bead fishing for steel, probably on the wilson and kilchis mostly. I am more than willing to take people out there with me, but you must be able to meet me in aloha/hillsboro and be tolerant of cannabis culture, and please know Ihave little to teach, aside from what I'm learning at the time. Anyone who wants to know when I go, shoot me a pm and we'll find a spot to practice casting.

W
waco
Jigs under a bobber. Hit me up if you guys make it this way. 1498907_282550018576146_6557009273230038564_o.jpg

I
Iki Jime
I'm already excited!

James

D
Dizle
I'd be up to do a fishing get together on the Wilson! Multiple driftboats? I'll bring mine

N
NJOYTSNJOYTR
If anyone is up for exploring the Portland area, let me know! I'm always willing to share some techniques as well as learn some new ones.